When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To ride or not to ride?

-
untill one restores a bike, the feeling of someone else touching and pushing the buttons and normal scratches when you park them is drawback to riding them. i ride them once in a while but i really enjoy having them more than riding them.

Ride some.....look at some.......restore some.....leave some alone.....all in all........love the hobby and remember.....you own them so it's your call no matter what.

ride, er no..........

When i ride one of my bikes, I listen to it.
It has alot to say.
It is a part of someones personal HISTORY.
I would have love to have been there when it was picked up off the floor, how many years ago, when times/things were simpler.
The adventures it had with that owner, at the time, will speak to you, if you listen.
All you have to do is to grab on, and FEEL!!!!!!!!!!!
Its O.K. If you have a treasure, and its to fragile to ride, (I have some)
But the ones that can be ridden, please continue their legacy, for their sake..........
Scary

I concur with the fact that our hobby has a variety of collectors and enthusiasts, as well as hoarders. We all perceive our hobby from our own vantage points, but focus on a common ground.
I feel I am a little bit of each and my bicycles and spares inventory reflect it...
I believe the exchange of ideas & perspectives amongst us represents all the facets of the hobby that make us whole both in agreement or difference.
When I first entered the hobby, I thought I knew a bit about the hobby until I met others. If we were of one facet, we would never learn and grow...very much like a single apple tree...
I look forward in learning from others in the hobby as it can create a new curiosity and expand my own knowledge and interest.
As a shipman may say, some people row, and some people rudder why others keep a close watch on our travel, not one of us is more or less important than the other and irrelevant to what we think, we are in the same boat together.....

I could careless what the owner decides to do with them. Its there money not mine. I personally would not own a bike I do not ride, but also appreciate that others may preserve items.

I have a vintage 60's car, that has never seen a drop of rain as long as I have had it, and rarely gets taken out besides for the monthly startups, I think its only seen the hose 3-4 times in the last 10 years. I start it up, wipe it down, and polish it up every once in a while. It primarily sits under a cover in the garage, and only gets taken out on occasion. To each there own, I believe the owner gets to decide how they enjoy there posestions. I'm sure most collectors in general have a few items in possession they never use.

Maybe, it is a question about "having" versus "using" things; (and having things that we might never actually use).
What use is something that is not actually used in any way.
Deferred Use: Temporary preservation, but for what purpose; maybe to merely defer use to others at a later time.
Education: Semi-permanent preservation, such as in a museum, with a use to educate others, with physical examples of, how things were, or how old things might be repaired for continued use, or for the shared appreciation of workmanship or beauty.
Capitalism: Temporary investment, used to later sell, in whole or in part, to another (to have and/or use), preferably at a profit.
Horticulture: Used as a supply of iron to the soil in the garden.
Landscaping: Used for aesthetics (art) purposes - a place for birds to land.

Back