When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To ride or not to ride?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

scrubbinrims

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I guess it bothers me a little when it is mentioned that classic bicyles are better (or only) appreciated when they are ridden, as if by collecting them and preserving history hasn't the merit without.
I understand the argument that they were "made to be ridden..." I get it, but also many, many years ago.
We all enjoy these bicycle in different ways...I have a few vintage "riders," but many in my collection I do not ride by choice to avoid accidents and any damage in the process of riding.
This is not the same feeling as a fear of riding and neither is just a question of potential devaluation and I assure you there is nothing wrong with me and I am quite satisfied by owning some bicycles preserved without a mount.
If I came across a Jackie Robinson jersey, it doesn't mean I have to put it on and head to the field for 9 innings wearing it to be appreciated.
So go ahead and ride your bicycles, enjoy them in motion as I do, but you shouldn't frown on the stewards of early American transportation.
Chris

I guess it bothers me a little when it is mentioned that classic bicyles are better (or only) appreciated when they are ridden, as if by collecting them and preserving history hasn't the merit without.
I understand the argument that they were "made to be ridden..." I get it, but also many, many years ago.
We all enjoy these bicycle in different ways...I have a few vintage "riders," but many in my collection I do not ride by choice to avoid accidents and any damage in the process of riding.
This is not the same feeling as a fear of riding and neither is just a question of potential devaluation and I assure you there is nothing wrong with me and I am quite satisfied by owning some bicycles preserved without a mount.
If I came across a Jackie Robinson jersey, it doesn't mean I have to put it on and head to the field for 9 innings wearing it to be appreciated.
So go ahead and ride your bicycles, enjoy them in motion as I do, but you shouldn't frown on the stewards of early American transportation.
Chris
Some of my bikes I ride a lot.........some I don't at all, other than maybe a short jaunt down my country road, obviously the rare or restored bikes I have a lot of $$$ in.......but even then, I guess it's like old cars....some folks trailer them..some drive them. It is a personal thing........and a choice.

As with everything else this is a matter of personal preference. As far as I'm concerneed for me to enjoy it I have to ride it. I do not hesitate to ride any of my bikes which mostly are original bikes. About the only concession I make is I put newer rubber on them. I did this after a vintage tire went down real quick on my Shelby No-Nose (restored) while riding which did cause some momentary concern! I still have the old tires should I ever want to show or display them. I am in the process of restoring a '37 Dayton Super Streamline (yea I know I've been saying this for a while) but I fully intend to ride it-often. I still consider myself a 'steward' of the preservation of these bikes but I gotta have fun too. v/r Shawn

Both are fine

I've stated in another post that we should remember what the bicycle was intended for and that was primarily because of the putdown to ratrodders. I understand the necessity of preserving some very rare pieces of the past from further harm and love that people do that. The only thing that bothers me is when I see a collection of hundreds of bicycles just sitting there gathering dust. I guess I've never seen the sense in amassing a huge collection of anything as I'd rather have a few select pieces that I can appreciate. I'm grateful that people do collect as that keeps these available for others to enjoy and maybe eventually aquire. But for me there is a distinction between the enthusiast, the collector and the hoarder. I don't ride all my bikes but none of them are particularly valuable. In the near future I'll be looking to purchase one of my dream bikes and it will be on display only (but after I take it for a spin :) )
To ride or not to ride is an indivudual choice as with anything.

I ride my bikes everywhere on our monthly rides which are usually 12 miles long on average. Half of my bikes have vintage tires on them that are in near NOS condition which i'm sure will tick most of you guys off but i'm not skidding on them so don't worry! I usually try to ride a different bike every month just to keep them in good condition. What happens to a car when you let it sit? Everything deteriorates. Ok a bike doesn't have a motor or fluids but the grease in the hubs doesn't get warmed up so at some point it will turn to sludge again like the way it was before I rebuilt it. The best part is when you pull up somewhere and someone says " my family member has one of those in there backyard, maybe you'd like to buy it?" Free advertising that could lead to an awesome rare bike!!! You just never know. But all in all I get my kicks off of seeing other people enjoy the bike because they have never seen one or even knew one existed.

Use synthetic Bicycle grease and it will not turn to sludge. Bikes can be fun to look at as well as ride. Take care of them and enjoy them as suits your own pleasure.

so don't ride them, it alright.

I am with you Chris on this one. I don't ride all my bikes, I enjoy having a pieace of history, That will not return. Maybe it is an investment also. Or I can sell them in the future in original shape. They don't make them like that no more. my 2 Cents.
Mitch

I have a couple I dont ride, but most I ride. I have 2 58 Schwinn Jaguars my son and I both ride them, my son rides one and pulls his kids in a trailer all spring and summer long. I have a 48 Autocycle I ride, a Super Sport I ride. I ride all winter long so I just put together this one for my winter rider so I dont have to wreck the others. Winter riding is very hard on them.

Attachments

• frankenbike 003.jpg
    frankenbike 003.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 35
  • frankenbike 001.jpg
    frankenbike 001.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 36
A couple of lines from the old Hank Williams song "Mind your own business" come to mind

"If you mind your business, then you won't be mindin' mine."
"If you mind your own business, you'll stay busy all the time."

Great song, check it out

Back