When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC 1908 ( I think ) Racycle restoration

-

filmonger

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
In Memoriam
TOC 1903 Racycle restoration

I have some rather crusty kelly bars from my racycle and am curious as to how I should clean them up - Should I use Steel wool and treat it with oil afterwards?? orrrr are there better suggestions! The grips look like toast to me - but maybe some of you have some suggestions. The Lucky 7 seat post seems Ok and should clean up easily. The rat traps look like they will cleanup well - though one has a broken bolt hole for the missing footstrap. All suggestions appreciated. Will keep you all posted on the rest of the bike as well as it progresses.

Kellybar1.jpg

Racycle rat trap1.jpg

Racycle Rattrap3.jpg

Last edited:
i guess it depends on your plans. You mentioned restoration [ restore back to original ], but do you really mean preservation [ clean up and keep in the current state ]?

if it is preservation, i think the chrome [ or is it nickel? ] looks shot. If i were you i would derust it in one of the typical solvents and steel wool it.

if it is restore, just blast it[ sand everything off ] and get it recoated with metal of choice

Here is the Saddle - Leather is all gone and just the wood base.....seems solid enough. Metal is pitted and rusty but I have seen much worse.

Racycle saddle1.jpg

Racycle Saddle 5.jpg

Racycle saddle 7.jpg

Attachments

• Racycle saddle 4.jpg
    Racycle saddle 4.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 599
Fork and front Wheel - the wood wheel is slightly warped but I think I can get it true...so I will have to do a Nick the Cut job on it - front Hub looks good - Paint is slightly iffy but you can see the detail of the nickel points. Tire is shot

Racycle fork 1.jpg

Racycle fork 2.jpg

Racycle fork 3JPG.jpg

Racycle fork 6.jpg

Frame and Rear Hub & Wheel - Frame is fairly rusty on the top tube....the down tube you can still see remnants of the R - fairly rusty by the rear wheel. Head badge looks good. This is kind of a tough call - think I will go the preservation route to start with. The Rear wheel you can still see some of the pin stripes - tire shot. Morrow hub looks good. Crank should clean up OK - Narrow thread block chain should also clean up ok - can't quite make out the markings on it though.

Racycle Frame1.jpg

Racycle Top Tube.jpg

Racycle Down Tube.jpg

Racycle Rear.jpg

Great bike. I can't wait to see that one rolling again. I have one TOC bike and if I ever get another it will be a Racycle Pacemaker. V/r Shawn

Back