When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC 1908 ( I think ) Racycle restoration

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Rims look great! did you oil the tire gluing surface as well? I have a rim straightening project in my future.

Yes I did.....My reasoning was this would help feed the wood a little ( not that much of it would get through with the remaining pitch / glue ....on the front rim I will remove the pitch / glue in total as an experiment ) - before mounting I will again sand the surface to rough it up for the glue and tire to help promote adhesion. Now on to the front rim! The front rim is very different from the rear. I am guessing the front rim has been a replacement and that the rear might be orig based on the hubs and existing tires.

Tung coating.jpg

Last edited:
I used a wire wheel on this steel clad wheelset to remove all of the black gunk.

Did a nice job, but you can see that it did leave some small grooves in the wood surface. I used a bench mounted model.

The grooves should actually help the glue bond, they're not too extreme where you couldn't leave them as is, but if you want it smooth you could always sand after wire wheeling.

14665854430_d25862a7b6_o-1.jpg
Steel clad rim refurb by VW Sightings, on Flickr

Coool - Great tip....Great job aaaannnnnnd Lllooookkkkkin good!!! Look forward to seeing the end result with your metal clads. That Black stuff is nasty stuff I have to say.

Last edited:
Back