When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC 1908 ( I think ) Racycle restoration

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I personally like the nickels age as is. If you gotta do something, go refurbish. Stay light with your scrubbing. Yes to 0000 steel wool, no to hard wire brush. Soaking parts in CLR before steel wool makes it easier. Be nice to what nickel is left. Scratch marks look funny.
I like that you wanna keep the original rims. If you have any questions, PM me.
Is this refurbish to display, or to ride? You could always do a separate wheelset for riding.
Good luck and take your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awww - I meant to say around 1908ish ..... But It really is a guess at this point!

Going to make her a rider if I can and will most likely have to use two pair of wheel sets.

Great project, good luck with it, I think this gets you into the Miami Merkel club, I'm jealous!

The bars seem to match the rest conditionwise. Steel wool will knock off a lot of that loose nickle plating. I would simply wipe it down with an oily rag and go with it.

Ok Pulled the Tires and the white rear tire is pretty pliable where the red front tire seems slightly harder but is looks like it has a little squish to it - so I thought I would try and put air in them.... Not sure of the valve? Are those caps or are they the end of the valve. Also interesting is the red Knobby Ironside tires have a Pat date of Nov 1903 on them ! How should I fill them - should I treat them with something first?

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Last edited:
I reccomend John Deere Ultra Guard rubber treatment. Works wonderful! Light wash first, let dry thoroughly, then treatment. I layed mine on black poster card stock, sprayed on, massaged/rubed on, then covered with clear plastic to retain warmth (lay in sun) all day. treat at least 3 times, or as needed.

..of course after this you won't want to part with them.... :(

Last edited:
valve caps

that is a removable cap , that forked top ,is the tool that removes the valve from the stem ,for cleaning or adding slime etc.

Is there a trick to the removal of a Racycle Crank? Just want to make sure of the process before I start messing around with it. I remember seeing it here on a thread but I cannot find it.

Back