When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC 2-man Tandem Please Help ID?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have a tandem with very similar chain rings and cranks are pat; faber 1893 or 1894 . frame is similar also ! i'am out west , call me pacific time. morning before 10am or after 4pm Richard...1-661-822-5733

May be a dumb question. Most of the TOC tandems with rear steer were open fronts. The women road up front with the man controlling the bike from the rear. What was the advantage of the rear steer male/male tandem? Racing tandems were steered from the front but why a rear steer? I have a 1898 Crescent Model 20 that is that way.
crescent Tandem5.png

crescent Tandem1.jpg

crescent Tandem2.jpg

Yes i did notice that !also the chain can be on both sides as this one ,mine has all the faber fittings and rings,their was a ad. posted here that great western made and sold faber parts, thats why I think the courting tandem I have is probably great western mfg. all their badges fit. thanks for posting brian, dweber....

Very interesting Bill! What advantage would there be to steering from the rear on a track? Could you see above or around the guy in front of you? Interesting!

It would seem to me that they would actually both be able to steer the bike. The front handlebars are in the steer tube and it turns with the fork. I think the early tandems were just made this way with rear steer because it seems to me that around 1897 or so, most of these tandems all appear to be front steering. I don't follow the tandem stuff much.

This really is a good question, "What advantage would there be to steering from the rear on a track tandem?"

I looked though several of my earlier catalogs (pre-1900) and found Bill Corbett's statement to be fairly true, "early tandems were just made this way with rear steer".

My findings show some manufacturers to offer rear steer on track tandems while others didn't. Most all road tandems either male-male or male-female seemed to always have rear steer as standard. As for track tandems I think it was simply rider preference because those manufacturers that offered rear steer on track tandems also offered it without rear steer as well. It seems to me the removal of weight created by a rear steer mechanism clearly would outweigh the advantages of rear steer so almost certainly rider preference was the reason.

Back