When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC American cycle Co. Wasp

-
I don,t think I would leave that rusty bar on the rim in the water to long. Could leave a rust stain you can't get out. Been there done that.

Thanks Mr. Brown, I didn’t let it sit long enough to stain. This rim already has some black stains in some places from some unknown substance so it already has character.

As it turned out the redneck solar technique didn’t get hot enough so I took 7 feet of aluminum foil and wrapped it loosely around the entire circumference of the rim forming a loose tube. Then I introduced steam into the foil evenly heating the entire rim at once. My glue joint survived the soak in water but not the steam. Steam is obviously far better for bending the wood but it also seems to begin setting much quicker too. I managed to put the radius back into the finger joint, so glueing will be much easier next time and the flat spot is now corrected. The rim is almost perfectly true now but I still want to make some minor adjustments before gluing it back and lacing the New Departure R onto it.

Here it is with the reproduction “Garford” seat from Paul Watson in Australia. [email protected] Its quite comfortable! The tractor is a 1947 Case VAC row crop.
97B0666F-0B85-4E99-A918-EE907708DDEF.jpeg

The white tires aren’t glued on because I’m thinking of red Robert Dean’s for it. All that’s left is to service the pedal bearings and the chain.
B15B5D74-B0A1-49C7-A2C7-EB78866EF477.jpeg

Don’t ever let anyone tell you lightning doesn’t strike the same place twice. This dead tree has been hit three times! That’s why we haven’t cut it down.

FDC9F56B-525C-4FE3-9480-2631FACFDCCE.jpeg

I decided to go with the white tires after all. This is the same potato chipped front rim that came with the Wasp and it is within 3/32” true.

This is my redneck tire gluing method.
I align the clothespin halves with the spokes, using them to pry the tire away from the rim starting with the slender end then flipping them around to gain more clearance.
I used weldwood cement which has the consistency of mozzarella cheese. The perfect preparation for this endeavor would be eating pizza followed by playing the board game “Operation”.
The fifth clothespin is in place to ease the insertion of the next 4. I only glued one side of the rim at a time working the opposite side around in the opposite direction keeps the tire from walking around the rim putting the valve stem in a bind. I tried going the same direction and the tire did walk on the rim so that the stem was crooked. I gripped the tire with both hands, placed my bare foot on the rim with spokes between my toes and lifted it off the rim. In this manner I walked it back around in the right direction, moving around the rim until the stem is straight up again also paying close attention to keeping the tread centered all the way around.
With slow patient movements with the glue, these tires and rims can be glued with very little mess.

Last edited:
Barefoot redneck tire gluing process update.

I always mount them with bare feets so the spokes can go betwixt my toes while I pull the tire onto the rim, also whenever I need to lift the tire to center the tread on the rim or rotate the tire in order to line up the valve stem properly.

C0EB7E9D-5C54-4605-ADA3-B892DCD182FF.jpeg

Previously I was only gluing one side of the rim at a time, prying the tire up just enough to get the glue in. I would glue one half in a clockwise direction and the reverse for the other in order to keep the alignment of the valve stem.
This time I used a plastic upholstery lever to pry the tire up enough to place the clothespins all the way across. That way I was able to glue the entire width of the rim and only make one revolution around.
I began gluing directly across from the valve stem and stopped there. Then I returned to the starting point and worked my way around to the valve stem in the opposite direction. With this technique the valve stem remains aligned.
The other advantage is that I can center the tread more easily each time I remove a clothespin because they slide easily on the wooden rims without splintering it.

The best way to remove the tiny flap of rubber from the molding process in the center of the tread is to ride about thirty miles. They are officially for display only but they are extremely tough and well made.

Neat solutions, clever use of your toes!
Currently building a set of wood wheels, old 700c rims. I’ll be using modern tubs, shame the Dugasts are no longer available though.

Update to the update...

After doing a few more sets I have figured out that it is easier to dispense with the clothespins.
It’s faster and cleaner to mount the tires dry.
Glue the rim on both sides of the valve stem to the first spoke and place the tire on the rim, making certain that the stem is centered nice and tidy.
Starting 180 degrees from the valve stem, dismount it almost 1/4 of the way around and then then there is ample room to apply the glue, just not too close to the edge so as you work the tire back in place it doesn’t get on the sidewall.
Stop at the valve stem.

Now dismount the tire 90 degrees beyond the valve stem, working away from the valve stem.
I marked my place with tape, but it’s like mozzarella, hard to miss! Work back towards the valve stem to prevent the tire from rotating the valve stem out of alignment when you work 360 degrees in one direction.
D22134CD-17BE-46BD-8559-CC382D5E0513.jpeg

The cycle is the 1902 Century Marathon. It is now running it’s original wheel set and the temporary Noah Stutzman riders are permanently on the Monark cushion frame.

Tufo tape is the easiest. No glue clumps and no clean up of rims.
I’ve had 2 of those Standard bathtubs.
Complete, with feet and valves, they’re worth $4,000@.

I cant but fancy tape in the podunk backwater where I live. So far I have yet to make a big mess with plain old fashioned glue!

That one belonged to my great grandfather so I wouldn’t sell it at any price!

Back