When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC aster motor pacer stayer steher gangmaker derny project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
image.jpg

Charles "mile-a-minute" Murphy being paced
by a steam locomotive in 1899. He reached 60 mph in
the slipstream of the specially designed train car during
a daring exhibition.
You can read the harrowing account
in the Walthour book....

One cylinder

I always thought this one cylinder was interesting. A staged picture as they have
blocks of wood under the pedals. Pacing without a reversed fork too!

slc_motorpace_big.jpg

Wow! That's the first non tandem pacer of this early era I've seen......I might be wrong but I think that's a small displacement buchet motor......later the big buchet singles were used.......this looks like the transition from tandem no rear roller bar to long handlebar huge motored pacers that came later.....nice bike too, proving there was no exact science to the stayer at this point

Great post! Thanks stayer king!

its like christmas everyday!

i love this one!!! thanks again stayer king!

so this looks to be aster motor..........whats baffling is the pedals/footrests mounted over the bb.........so fixed gear? pacer or race motobike? anyway its sliced up its amazing......thanks for making my night!!

oh yeah,forgot to post a revalation.........these early pre intake cam/atmospheric motors can run either clockwise or counterclockwise.........very very neat

heres an incredibly rare part of the puzzle.......spring loaded oil plunger for an aster motor,in fact im told it is the only one in existence

IMG_1406.jpg
IMG_1407.jpg
IMG_1408.jpg
IMG_1409.jpg

you can see it in this picture the rear fellas is all handsy

aster pacer.jpg

love it! anzani twin..........a little later than the 1898-1900 era i think but very interesting.........they made a 3 cylinder that is a thing of question marks and beauty..........glenn curtiss also made a 3 cylinder radial twin for a motorcycle

hey stayer king,i thought of you today when i found a 24 inch wood rim wheel.............yep im shamelessly collecting faux stayer bike parts

Back