When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC Bicycle Stands & Racks

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have two examples of the stand in question.
I think I paid £20 gbp (around $28 US) for them 3 years ago.
That was secondhand price, and a very good price at that.
They are/were definitely being reproduced in cast iron over here, and as has been stated above, the castings are nowhere near as crisp as original examples.

An original version of this stand (Young's Patent Radial) just sold at auction in Washington state for $375 plus 25% plus shipping. I did not buy it nor did I bid on it. Anyone here on the CABE buy it ?

20 years ago I found the same stand listed in a local Trader rag for $150. The woman that had it for sale was an antique dealer and had kept her bicycle perched in it in her apartment. It was quite a distance away and I had to have it shipped. I told her how to carefully pack it but she opted to take it to her local "Pack & Ship". The employee put it into a box and filled the box with styrofoam peanuts. When the box arrived one leg had punched through the side and broke off. I collected my purchase price etc. via a battle with UPS. I wished I had never found it - A 100 year old relic ruined due to careless handling. I'm still pissed off 20 years later.:mad:

An original version of this stand (Young's Patent Radial) just sold at auction in Washington state for $375 plus 25% plus shipping. I did not buy it nor did I bid on it. Anyone here on the CABE buy it ?

20 years ago I found the same stand listed in a local Trader rag for $150. The woman that had it for sale was an antique dealer and had kept her bicycle perched in it in her apartment. It was quite a distance away and I had to have it shipped. I told her how to carefully pack it but she opted to take it to her local "Pack & Ship". The employee put it into a box and filled the box with styrofoam peanuts. When the box arrived one leg had punched through the side and broke off. I collected my purchase price etc. via a battle with UPS. I wished I had never found it - A 100 year old relic ruined due to careless handling. I'm still pissed off 20 years later.:mad:
I did see that one at the auction in WA, not sure who got it

After confirming the above mentioned stand was reproduction and the seller was being less than transparent I canceled the sale.
THEN I had a jones for a "new" stand -
Fortunately a pair of Cleveland stands promptly appeared to satisfy my jones!

Cleveland bicycle stand.jpg

Here's one in my friend Chris' collection.
'Champion' by Hutton & Co. of Warminster, Wiltshire, England.
1890's we think. I've been trying to research it but cannot find any information anywhere.

I did find this 1898 patent drawing for yet another 'improved' design from Hutton & Co., but its not this one either.....
GB_189720020_A.png

Hutton's other, more common stand is shown in this image.....
112.jpeg

The one in question is one of those stands designed to accommodate your bicycle upside down whilst carrying out maintenance and to save one's tyres too.....
20220310_193509.jpg

20220310_193457.jpg

...as you can see, there is plenty of scope for adjustment to accommodate a wide range of bicycle sizes and frame designs.
Chris has quite a collection of stands, I'll grab more photos when I next see him.

Last edited:
Back