When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC Corbin Hub Rebuild

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

KevinsBikes

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I’m wondering when braking is weak after rebuilding the hub if the discs can be replaced or the shell itself wears down, or both?

I knew these were a little risky to rebuild but I laced it into a VB 35 anyway since it did stop decent when just doing it with the bike upside down, riding it is riskier as the braking is weak.

I’m not sure if I’ll continue to rebuild it not knowing if it’s the shell or the discs or both. I have another set I can try out, but wondering if anyone has had success in making these ridable again. I put a new cog on it which works great, coasts and drives perfect.

9D258CF2-497A-4D2F-AD97-DF08F5765C0F.jpeg

6487F5FD-19AC-45D0-B0F4-1B347898DAF9.jpeg

8C2F37E1-5735-44AC-A05C-D62C81180CBE.jpeg

FADCF7AB-25E4-4B9F-A6A4-55231B011B70.jpeg

2D349A9A-339D-4DC5-ACE3-B29787D8BDD3.jpeg

I am considering using a 10mm wide by 0.2-0.3mm thick, flat metal ribbon, strip or tape, fitted inside the circumference of the hub shell, kind of similar to the 1918 Madsen patent No. 1,272,690; except without the inwardly-rolled edge (or flange?).
Not sure if either brass or steel would work the best; thinking that JB Weld's extreme heat paste-type adhesive might also help keep the shim attached to the shell. The thickness of the shim might not be a one-size fits all, based on the measurable wear on the brake surfaces, (shell and shoes), on different hubs.

Another option, suggested earlier by @Andrew Gorman, might be to trim a SKF Speedy Sleeve # 99226 (or similar), to the correct 10-11mm width.

Last edited:
I’m wondering when braking is weak after rebuilding the hub if the discs can be replaced or the shell itself wears down, or both?

I knew these were a little risky to rebuild but I laced it into a VB 35 anyway since it did stop decent when just doing it with the bike upside down, riding it is riskier as the braking is weak.

I’m not sure if I’ll continue to rebuild it not knowing if it’s the shell or the discs or both. I have another set I can try out, but wondering if anyone has had success in making these ridable again. I put a new cog on it which works great, coasts and drives perfect.
Most of these early brake hubs have so little friction surface area they are rather ineffective at stopping. Some were even stated in advertisements to be speed controllers not necessarily actual brakes. Best thing to do for improving friction is use a rather thin grease such as white lithium or even just oil on the brake shoes because most modern automotive greases are rather too good at reducing friction. You actually need to use a grease more similar to what was available 100 years ago which will improve brake stopping performance as much as possible assuming the braking surface is not completely worn out.

Back