When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

toc headset... which should I get?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

AluminumStork

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Okay guys, since I still don't know what I have (still waiting to see if the bicycle museum can help identify the three screw headbadge set up) I was wondering if the headsets from 1895 up to 1900 where mostly made by a few companies and thus whoever made my bike would have used said companies hardware.
So question is which headset should I be looking for to 'match' my soon to probably be a 'Bitsa' bike from the toc period.
Of course if I do find out... well i'll cross that bridge when I see it ;)

Thanks in advance!

(and if anyone has a set for sale... i'm looking...)

Below find pics showing measurements (please excuse the crappy plastic caliper, I had left my metal one at home)

The only part left of the old headset. Look familiar to anyone?
IMG_7459.jpg

IMG_7765.jpg
IMG_7767.jpg
IMG_7768.jpg

Fork
IMG_7773.jpg

I'm not sure there was really a standard back then. You can buy loose ball bearings in bulk, so that's not really an issue, and you can probably find headset cups that are close enough to work. The important part is going to be the top race that fits your fork. You'll need to measure the thread pitch as well.

Back