When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC Lady Chainless Columbia

-

JEAN MARIE

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi ,

I'm happy to have found out my third american bike , here in France ; confirmed by Mr Columbia it dates from 1900-1910 , and even 1900-1901 if the trophy fork is original

here some pictures , and more reading in french here

http://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=35229&p=366243#p366243

any idea of what would mean the crest stamped on the right of fork head ?

thx in advance for any comment and assistance in getting missing parts : headbadge, fork plate, front wheel

col d1.jpg

col g1.jpg

col tf blason avt.jpg

col tf blason.jpg

Hi ,

I'm happy to have found out my third american bike , here in France ; confirmed by Mr Columbia it dates from 1900-1910 , and even 1900-1901 if the trophy fork is original

here some pictures , and more reading in french here

http://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=35229&p=366243#p366243

any idea of what would mean the crest stamped on the right of fork head ?

thx in advance for any comment and assistance in getting missing parts : headbadge, fork plate, front wheel

View attachment 730067

View attachment 730068

View attachment 730069

View attachment 730070
Nice find @JEAN MARIE. Very difficult to read those markings on the fork crown, looks like some type of part number for the fork, but that wouldn't account for it appearing on both sides of the fork crown.
maybe try rubbing some dirt, or use a non permanent marker pen on the markings,
wipe off the excess and take another photo.
c'est très difficile à lire.

Hi Dnc1,

thx for your comments ; and first my best wishes for 2018 !!

here are some more pictures of both sides of the fork head ; now , I really wonder if these marks have any meaning , or if they are just the result of some assembly process ?

3 first picts are the right side , where some sort of " crest" is present ; the last one is the left side, where some light marks are present

col tf blason d 2.jpg
col tf blason d 3.jpg
col tf blason d 4.jpg
col tf blason g 2.jpg

They look like dings to me. However the small circles on the fork head are frame pins that are used to hold the bike together during the brazing process.

I believe the trophy fork without the steering tube clamp at the top for the neck is 1899 only.
I believe the drive cover plate is 1900 or later.

I believe the trophy fork without the steering tube clamp at the top for the neck is 1899 only.
I believe the drive cover plate is 1900 or later.
Hi ,

thx for your comments , unfortunately my technical english is too poor , and reverso as well , to well understand what you have written

by dings do you mean small dents made during manufacturing process ?

and EJLwheels, could you please post a picture for each type of fork you describe , the one of 1899 , and the one after 1900 ?

The dings or dents were not caused by the manufacturing process. They are there simply as a result of time. The bicycle is 100 plus years old so you have to expect dents and scratches.

1898 trophy plate fork with stem/neck clamp
Copake april 2013 Lot#372 = 21806458.jpg

1899 trophy plate fork without stem/neck clamp
1899 columbia rusahu7y-1.jpg

1900- plain crown fork (still without stem/neck clamp, but not shown in illustration)
1900 Columbia 2.jpg

1898 trophy plate fork with stem/neck clamp
View attachment 733974

1899 trophy plate fork without stem/neck clamp
View attachment 733975

1900- plain crown fork (still without stem/neck clamp, but not shown in illustration)
View attachment 733977

Graig, that makes sense ; do you know where should I look for any markings on the bike ?

thx Ejlwheels for the pictures ; it's now clearer to me ; when you write " the drive cover plate" , you mean the one protecting the front gear ?

based on your experience, may we say now that my bike is from 1899 or 1900 ?

The serial number should be located at the top of the seat tube on the right side. Columbia also offered to engrave the original owner's name on the trophy plate on the fork head.

Back