When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC Lady Chainless Columbia

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Your frame is definitely not 1898.
Your fork might have been an 1898 fork whose clamping top has been cut short,
but now at least it is basically a 1899 fork.
Beyond that, it is difficult to say without seeing it up close.

It is likely not 1899, because the seat post clamp would then be a collet style using a 1" diameter post
rather the the pinch bolt yours appears have. (Could that hole have been drilled later?)
Below, 1899 only seat post collet clamp:
1899 Columbia chainless 8907270_10_l.jpg

Does the seat post clamp bolt hole look clean and countersunk like this? Then the frame is probably 1900 or later.
1900 4.jpg

Your drive side cover plate is 1900 or later, but the crank arm looks like 1899.
Here is 1898, sharp right angle with not much shoulder.
1898 columbia_chainless06.jpg

Here is 1899, flat cover plate, right angle bend with well-defined shoulder.
1899 columbia masa2abe-1.jpg

Here is 1900 and later (all interchangeable) softer angle and less defined shoulder. Cover plate is stepped, not flat.
1900 2.jpg

From your pictures it seems that your frame and fork could be 1899 with a replaced 1900 or later cover plate (not sure if a 1900 or later plate will fit on a 1899)
or a 1900 (or later) frame with a replacement (1899) fork and possibly 1899 crank arms.
A 1900 frame should have 1 1/8" diameter tubes. I believe later frames have 1" diameter tubes.

Last edited:
I might be wrong but if my memory serves me right The !899 1900 crank arms will not fit later bikes crank arm axle is a tad thicker.

ths a lot guys for so many usefull answers and pictures

at least , we are progressing

I have measured all diameters : the lowest tube and the saddle tube are 28,6 mm , ie 1 1/8 inch , ie from 1900 onwards
FYI , fork tube is 35mm, upper tube is 25,4 , oblique rear tube is 19,5mm and gear and opposite tube are 22,3 mm

for the saddle , the seat post clamp bolt hole looks clean and is countersunk
col tub sl.jpg

then the cover plate is like the 1900 plus
col renvoi av flasque.jpg

about the saddle clamp, they may have done different versions depending upon the model ; as you can see on the 1907 Peugeot catalogue below , the standard lady bike has a hole and screw, when the " de luxe" model has got the conical screw we see on the Columbia 1899 model
Peugeot 1907 Vélo.3.Dame.1.jpg
Peugeot 1907 Vélo.10.Dame Luxe.jpg

I know it well because I've bought recently one " de luxe model " , you can see it here :
http://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=34229

the pleasure I took to fix the front wheel was great !

Forgive my ignorance but are these chainless bikes very valueable? Can anyone throw out a number for a mens or womens bike.
Thanks
Chase

Forgive my ignorance but are these chainless bikes very valueable? Can anyone throw out a number for a mens or womens bike.
Thanks
Chase
Hi Sacket ,

no precise idea, but you should contact MrColumbia , ie Kenneth Kowal , who is an expert in this field

prices actually depend upon the status of the bike ; anyway spare parts are looked for , and may cost a lot ; for example I need the headbadge and the scarce ones on sale on ebay are expensive for me ;

Back