When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC Orient bicycle tread .... a place to gain and share information

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The great "WALTER SANGER" raced an Orient for 1896 seen here in his promotional card.

s-l1600.jpg

Here's an ad for March 1896 where he is the unpaced world's mile record holder and using the same stock 1895 photo.

( The 1896 bike would have had a different chainring )

Sanger ad.jpg

Walter Sanger retired from racing in 1898

Note: - Conn Baker also rode an Orient in 1896

=====================================

The great "Albert Champion" raced an Orient.

He is one of the only racers that I know of that took an Orient 1:30 Leader front fork and reversed it to put on a 24" front tire. The Orient 1:30 Model originally came with the 26" front tire and you can clearly see the difference it made. He also changed out the Orient chainring for some reason ( 2nd photo )

Albert Champion went on to invent "CHAMPION SPARK PLUGS".

041020-2108-18.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

91VOAd6FqAL.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

A place to gain and share information ....

Very few people have heard the name - "Gentleman Jim Corbett". I feel fortunate to be related to him through our family tree.

Gentleman Jim Corbett was the very first "World Heavyweight Champion Boxer of the World" where gloves were used. The year was 1892. He defeated John L. Sullivan for the title.

* * * Corbett was also a racing cyclist and used the very best ....... an ORIENT * * *

$(KGrHqIOKnMFJjcw93MzBSbWsp2+hw~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16NHJHIFFh!kYy+mBR0gUVpQvg~~60_57 2.JPG

BookReaderImages.php.jpeg

BookReaderImages.php 3.jpeg

BookReaderImages.php 4.jpeg

Very few people have heard the name - "Gentleman Jim Corbett". I feel fortunate to be related to him through our family tree.

Gentleman Jim Corbett was the very first "World Heavyweight Champion Boxer of the World" where gloves were used. The year was 1892. He defeated John L. Sullivan for the title.

* * * Corbett was also a racing cyclist and used the very best ....... an ORIENT * * *

View attachment 1412081

View attachment 1412082

View attachment 1412083

View attachment 1412084

View attachment 1412085
This explains a lot ! Bikes are in your blood Bill. Thanks for the share.

View attachment 1412081

View attachment 1412082

View attachment 1412083

View attachment 1412084

View attachment 1412085
refereecycletra151895chic_0660 2.jpg

Great history! I'm ready to trade in my Pierce for an Orient!

If you're ever in Alameda check out the Crolls Building where the professional boxers trained and held bouts from the late 1800s to the 1920s or 30s. Jim Corbett trained behind the building.

And on the other side of the bay in Colma the boxers of that time trained and fought at Molloy's Tavern, an establishment dating to 1883. An old friend used to have a musical instrument business upstairs.

Back