When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC Project TRINITY Cycle Mfr. Co. Racer

-

New Mexico Brant

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Yay, I am back from Texas and could not wait to tear into the box with the Trinity bicycle angel #1 Bill Corbett helped identify! Currently I am testing the best way(s) to remove the goopy layers of bright red and black gloss paint. I tried my trusty "first go to" paint-remover-friend Everclear alcohol but the bicycle's finish just laughed back at me. Graffiti remover proved to cut the red but black is holding firm. Underneath both is the thickest gray primer I have ever encountered. Neither products have worked on the primer so I will next try soy stripper. It seems the "bright parts" may retain much of their nickel so fingers-crossed folks!

The mystery of the missing head badge hole has been resolved (see Trinity post in pre-1933 section). Bicycle angel #2 Patric Cafaro has helped immensely with the badge with both the mounting hole position and his generous gift of a Trinity badge; many thanks Patric! Today I have exposed the missing hole, on the surface of the thick repaint it was not visible. The hole is plugged with the remains of an original brass mounting screw.

A final thank you goes to bicycle angel #3 Scott McCaskey for selling me wonderous machine. I hope my efforts with it will make you proud Scott!

Enjoy the pictures, hopefully I will be able to post images of the chainring and crank sans paint very soon!
IMG_6128.jpg

IMG_6129.jpg

IMG_6130.jpg

Last edited:
Progress is finally being made on a stalled project; the bike is just back from having an exfoliation. After countless hours and experiments with different chemical strippers I gave up and send the Trinity to the sand blaster. I have no idea what the gray undercoat was (maybe an epoxy primer?), but it was brutal trying to get it off. Some products did absolutely nothing to break it down, others turned the gray-matter into a tar-like goop that clung to the steel with barnacle ferocity. Sadly, a past owner painted everything including the chain, spokes, and hubs on this machine. I will send the hubs to the plater and let them deal with the "goop."

BookReaderImages.php 5.jpeg TRINITY.jpg

image3.jpeg

B118620A-F227-4531-B8DD-94FAAC3315E0.jpeg

3D06FBE8-5C6D-497D-9EAE-08B2DE3DD275.jpeg

Last edited:
Just curious Brant the ad says "The Trinity! A Bicycle made by a progressive company." Any idea who the "progressive" company is? V/r Shawn

Just curious Brant the ad says "The Trinity! A Bicycle made by a progressive company." Any idea who the "progressive" company is? V/r Shawn
Yes, the manufacturer is: Trinity Cycle Mfr. Co. from Keene, New Hampshire. Frank Fowler was the primary principle in the firm and had an extensive bicycle history with several firms. Also of note: Ignaz Schwinn ran one of Fowler's factories for a period of time.

You can view more of Trinity's history on post #26 of this thread: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/its-a-trinity-cycle-mfr-co.158121/page-3

And of Frank T. Fowler at: http://www.sdf80120.com/projects/F.T.Fowler.html

The Schwinn connection: https://davidsbicycles.wordpress.com/1896-fowler-truss-frame/

Last edited:
The disassemble begins; so much easier with the parts not being paint fused.

It is interesting besides the serial number 169 shows up on the steer tube of the fork and the left rear drop out; maybe the build date (Jan. 6th 1899)? I suspect the R before the serial number on the bottom bracket is for "racer."

FF1956E0-32CF-4F10-9FB4-F633443CD0B4.jpeg

A95AD977-5EEE-4367-A29C-6E0F04986C03.jpeg

73819BC4-5B7B-40EB-BA04-2F6186D73549.jpeg

AF1B92D7-1295-49C1-ADD9-4739A8F11618.jpeg

Last edited:
I have to thank Bill Smith who oversees The Wheelmen library for providing digital copies of two Trinity catalogs. Fortunately the one catalog spells out the exact color used on their racers.

image2.jpeg

As a side note, the original manufacturing building in Keene, NH still exists. There is a commemorative mural painted on this side; it is kind of strange they changed the company's name for the mural. I cannot find any reference that refers to Fowler's company as "Trinity Bicycle Works." I guess they are just taking artistic liberties. https://hsccnh.org/walldogs-murals/trinity-bicycle-mural/

Last edited:
The Trinity is all apart; some fine filing and detailing needs to occur. After which the small parts are off to be plated and the frame to be painted.

Some numbers on the cranks worthy of sharing in case some stumbles over a parts cache. The cranks are marked: T 6 3/4 99; could the T be for Trinity and the 99 for 1899? Too many 99’s to discount the year theory.

100A4C58-E947-455C-8276-4EC1F9778ADB.jpeg

81178E28-09EF-433F-BFB9-C85B541DC945.jpeg

Brant,
Next time try baking soda blasting. It is very gentle and you can remove layer, upon layer and save original paint.
Giovanni

Back