TOC ... "RACERS" ( - the bikes and the men who raced them - )

• REMINDER: There is a 2-day bump rule for Classifieds forums. Please take a moment to review the rules by clicking HERE.

This ad disappears when logged in

corbettclassics

I live for the CABE
Feb 11, 2012
Burbank, United States
I've always felt there should be a separate thread for just the TOC "RACERS". So many racers like Frank Kramer, Major Taylor, John Johnson, Eddie Bald, Bobby Walthour, Jimmy Michael, Oscar Hedstrom, Willie Windle, Arthur Zimmerman and many others should be remembered. This is not necessarily about the racers themselves though but also about the racing bikes that are becoming forgotten. Bikes like the Barnes, Crescent, Pierce, Iver Johnson, Monarch, Dayton, Tribune and so many others should all be posted here. And I'm ok with going as early as the Highwheel racers of the 1880's and right up to maybe the 1920's as this period of racing is very interesting as well.

And lets not forget that the Velodrome racing had the motor pacing. Stayer bikes are rare to see and a pure form of speed so lets post these here for everyone to enjoy.

So, lets get started and post some of these great racers and the bikes that were made famous and also those that are not so famous.

We'll start with this one. I've always felt these were the early Columbia's about 1893 - 94 with cranks on the left side. Racing on a dirt style track!

s-l1600 3.jpg

Last edited:

corbettclassics

I live for the CABE
Feb 11, 2012
Burbank, United States
Looks like about 1896 - Eddie "The Cannon" Bald 2nd down from the top and on his left is Tom Cooper on his Monarch.

Buffalo-Athletic-Field-Buffalo-History-Museum.jpg

dnc1

I live for the CABE
Apr 1, 2016
Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK
A fantastic, full nickel frame and forks 'ABC' racer. Seen recently in Mallorca.
Made in Mallorca, unsure of its age, split bottom bracket, has initials "P S' on top headlug and seatlug, and 'LL 03' on bottom headlug.....
F5A7F259-5E50-44D9-B3C9-C3EE183FDAC8.jpg

77C4802E-4EB5-4B6E-8002-B2D96BC95E8A.jpg

WP_20180918_10_09_51_Pro (5).jpg

Gorgeous machine!
Any guesses as to age?

WP_20180918_10_09_40_Pro (4).jpg

fordsnake

I live for the CABE
May 12, 2010
I don't think you can have a conversation about bicycle racers and not include George Mallory Hendee. He started racing at age 16, won 302 out of 309 races! His stellar performance and accomplishments kept America fixated to the bicycle phenomenal craze of the 1800's. Crowds would gathered to see him race. Towns would literally shut down to watch him pedal... shops would place placards in their windows " Gone to see Hendee race". Hendee retired in 1893. He first endorsed sundries and bicycles. In 1894 he decided to launched a safety bike, called the "Silver King". He later partnered with another bicycle racer – Edward Nelson. They continued making the Silver King & Silver Queen bicycles. Sadly, the business failed after a few years. Hendee tried again at manufacturering bicycles, but this time he added another bike to his existing line of Silver Kings & Queens, he called it, the American Indian...it was made for the export market. Hendee dropped the word American and shorten the name to just Indian. In 1898 George Hendee met another bicycle racer Oscar Hedstrom. Oscar was an accomplished motor builder for"pacers" that used on wooden tracks for speed racing. Hendee asked Hedstrom to build him motor to attached to his Indian. Well you know the rest of the story.

Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 3.50.52 PM.png

Last edited:

locomotion

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 15, 2011
Canada
I don't think you can have a conversation about bicycle racers and not include George Mallory Hendee. He started racing at age 16, won 302 out of 309 races! His stellar performance and accomplishments kept America fixated to the bicycle phenomenal craze of the 1800's. Crowds would gathered to see him race. Towns would literally shut down to watch him pedal... shops would place placards in their windows " Gone to see Hendee race". Hendee retired in 1893. He first endorsed sundries and bicycles. In 1894 he decided to launched a safety bike, called the "Silver King". He later partnered with another bicycle racer – Edward Nelson. They continued making the Silver King & Silver Queen bicycles. Sadly, the business failed after a few years. Hendee tried again at manufacturering bicycles, but this time he added another bike to his existing line of Silver Kings & Queens, he called it, the American Indian...it was made for the export market. Hendee dropped the word American and shorten the name to just Indian. In 1898 George Hendee met another bicycle racer Oscar Hedstrom. Oscar was an accomplished motor builder for"pacers" that used on wooden tracks for speed racing. Hendee asked Hedstrom to build him motor to attached to his Indian. Well you know the rest of the story.

View attachment 880037
Speaking of Hendee.
In an original magazine I just found : "Hendee wins the twenty mile race."
improved.jpg

thanks to Patric for the image improvements

Last edited:

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture