TOC ... "RACERS" ( - the bikes and the men who raced them - )

• REMINDER: There is a 2-day bump rule for Classifieds forums. Please take a moment to review the rules by clicking HERE.

This ad disappears when logged in

dnc1

I live for the CABE
Apr 1, 2016
Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK
Does anyone have images of people racing "National" (Bay City, Michigan) cycles? Would love to see their team jerseys.
Some great images on here guys. Thanks to one and all for posting.

47jchiggins

I live for the CABE
Sep 15, 2013
Virginia Beach, 23451
I don't think you can have a conversation about bicycle racers and not include George Mallory Hendee. He started racing at age 16, won 302 out of 309 races! His stellar performance and accomplishments kept America fixated to the bicycle phenomenal craze of the 1800's. Crowds would gathered to see him race. Towns would literally shut down to watch him pedal... shops would place placards in their windows " Gone to see Hendee race". Hendee retired in 1893. He first endorsed sundries and bicycles. In 1894 he decided to launched a safety bike, called the "Silver King". He later partnered with another bicycle racer – Edward Nelson. They continued making the Silver King & Silver Queen bicycles. Sadly, the business failed after a few years. Hendee tried again at manufacturering bicycles, but this time he added another bike to his existing line of Silver Kings & Queens, he called it, the American Indian...it was made for the export market. Hendee dropped the word American and shorten the name to just Indian. In 1898 George Hendee met another bicycle racer Oscar Hedstrom. Oscar was an accomplished motor builder for"pacers" that used on wooden tracks for speed racing. Hendee asked Hedstrom to build him motor to attached to his Indian. Well you know the rest of the story.

View attachment 880037
3687DA31-EE32-493D-BA0E-AAA69DACDDB5.jpeg

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture