When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC Wood Rim Makers Info

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Fairbanks wood rim co - factory in England. After Importing rims to the UK in 1894 demand was such that In 1895 Fairbanks rented a facility in an old lace factory located in Draycott, Derbyshire called Draycott Mills that still stands today. Also located in this old lace mill was the manufacturing of the Simson lever Chain at the same time ( Lever Chain and Cycle Co. ). The facility was huge and host to many industries in the day. In fact, it is said that the building was based on the dimensions of Noha's Ark.

View attachment 722493

View attachment 722496

View attachment 722521 View attachment 722519 View attachment 722518

Simpson "Lever" Chain, a much-boomed novelty which enjoyed a brief but hectic career, 1895 - 1897. The first patent W.S.Simpson took 27th December 1894. Simpson Lever Chain and Cycle Co., Ltd. was a maker of the Simpson lever chain, this company premises at 110 Regent Street, London and works at Draycott, Derbyshire. This maker offered his own bicycles under name "Simpson" lever chains have been used by many riders on other bicycles. „The great Humber Company took up the idea and the famous Gladiator firm of Paris adopted it. The result was that riders using the chain began to sweep the board, and by January Simpson lever chain riders had made all the existing word's records from a quarter of a mile to forty-four miles, and since then the successes have been constant!!!!“. Wrote The Illustrated London News 20th June 1896

View attachment 722500
Thanks for the info re. the Derbyshire factory, I bet they're now very desirable/very expensive apartments now at the mill.

Drake wood rims, Milwaukee - will follow up on this with more research very soon.
52AA8050-75A9-48F8-8A78-03A18483DD63.jpeg

Edward B Dake..... 1897 Pat rim joint ( Do not confuse with Drake )

US579673-0.png

E. B. BAKE. RIM JOINT FOR VEHICLE WHEELS.

No. 579,673. Patented Mar. 30, 1897.

' WITNESSES v IJVVENTOR WW 6%. {9w

' flaw,

( Attorney nu: nonms mins 00. momma. wAsnmmox. o. c.

tion of parts, all as hereinafter described, and

EDWVARD B. DAKE, OF MUSKEGON,

rrnn STATES ATENT Fries.

MICHIGAN, ASSIGNOR TO HORACE ALVORD, OF PAINESVILLE, OHIO.

RIM-JOINT FOR VEHICLE-WHEELS.

atent No. 579,673, dated March 30, 1897.

Serial No. 558,104. (No model.)

To ctZZwhom it may concern.-

Beit known that I, EDWARD B. DAKE, a citizen of the United States, and a resident of Muskegon, in the county of Muskegon and State of Michigan, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Rim-Joints for Vehicle-Vheels; and I do declare the following to be a full, clear, and exact description of the invention, such as will enable others skilled in the art to which it appertains to make and use the same, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, and to letters of reference marked thereon, which form a part of this specification.

Figure 1 of the drawings is a perspective view of wheel-felly with the invention applied thereto. Fig. 2 is an enlarged perspective of the two sections of the felly to be joined. Fig. 3 is a plan view of one of the sections.

This invention has relation to a joint for the wood rims or fellies of vehicle-wheels, and has for its object the provision of a joint which cannot be pulled apart in a sidewise direction, and which is strong and rigid.

WVith this object in view the invention consists in the novel construction and combinapointed out in the appended claim.

Referring to the accompanying drawings, the letters A and B designate two sections of a wheel-rim or felly which are united in accordance with this invention. Each of said sections is provided at its end with a series of parallel interlocking tenons, as a, which conform to the general contour or curvature of the rim and which fit between a corresponding series of tenons on the opposing section'which, for distinction, are marked b. In the present instance I have shown each section as having three of these tenons, but I do not wish to be limited to any particular number.

The tenonsare of equal thickness throughout their length, and their lateral faces are parallel and vertical, and the end of each is continuously beveled from its upper to its lower surface, as at 0, adjacent tenons having directly opposite bevels. The abutments for said tenons are also alternately beveled, as at d.

This feature of beveling the ends of the tenons enables the joint to hold glue much better than would be the case were they formed with square abutting ends. It also greatly strengthens the joint. The opposite bevels hold the sections from all tendency to buckle either outward or inward and renders it impossible for the sections to separate except by a direct longitudinal movement away from each other. It will also appear that this feature greatly strengthens the joint owing to the fact that the wood between the tenons is not entirely cut away, but is left to increase the strength of the abutments, and that this increase of strength is distributed equally upon both the upper and lower portions of the joint and upon opposite sides of the transverse center of the joint, adjacent tenons being of different lengths upon the same side of the joint and their end bearings upon the beveled walls of the interspaces of the opposing section being at different points with relation to such transverse center.

I am aware that it is not broadly new to form a rim-joint having a series of interfitting tenons, as instances of such joints are shown in the English Patents No. 503 of 1895 to Cooley and No. 7,062 of 1894 to Marble; also in the United States patent to Rastetter, No. 528,741, of November 6, 1894:, and I hereby disclaim the constructions shown in those patents. The present invention is clearly distinguished from the joint shown in the said English patent to Oooley in that the beveled abutments between the tongues or tenons are not extended to form a second lower set of tongues or tenons which are opposed to the first or upper set, the tongues or tenons of both sets being of gradually-decreasing vertical thickness which renders them less strong. I11 the present construction each tongue or tenon maintains its full vertical thickness to a point near its end where the bevel commences. The invention is distinguished from the joints shown in the said patents to Rastetter and Marble in the features of its beveled ends, which, as above pointed out, greatly increases the strength of the joint and decreases its tendency to buckle in either direction. The invention is also distinguished from the said patents in the feature whereby adjacent tenons are oppositely beveled, which also greatly adds to the the rear Wallsof the interspaces of each end strength of the joint. being beveled alternately in opposite direc- Having thus described my invention, what tions to correspond with these engaging pro- I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters jeetions.

5 Patent, is In testimony whereof I afiix my signature 1 5 A wheel-felly having interlocking ends, in presence of two Witnesses. each end being provided with a series of par- EDWARD B. DAKE. allcl projections separatedby interspaces, the Witnesses: extremity of the projections of each end being R. J USTIN RoTE,

i0 beveled alternatelyin opposite directions and V. A. MURRAY.

Norace Alvord who was assigned the Pat.

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 09.12.59.png

Huseby Bicycle Co......

They produced Bamboo bicycle frames, bars and rims. The picture below iwas taken 1897 - again I will do more indepth research on this comapny soon.

Artistry-Milwaukee-history-Huseby-Cycle-Co.jpg

The first known manufacturing company tenant of the building was Huseby Cycle Company in 1896. Although the company was not among the largest in this time, it was an innovative and unique cycle company. Probably the most significant feature of the Huseby bikes were their use of wood in manufacturing wooden bikes: “Wood frames are a specialty with this company, and they are the only manufacturers of the same in this or any other country.”

The company’s modern production line was able to make 40 bikes as a day, employing 75 skilled workers. Just one year after the establishment of the Huseby Cycle Co., William Casper, the president, died on April 16, 1897, at the age of 58. This, along with the emergence of affordable automobiles for the public around the time, spelled the end for the company.

bamboo-bike-Huseby.jpg

Assignment after William's Death 1896 To Hugo Casper

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 06.37.37.png

Hugo authorized to sell plant..... ( both from the Wheel )

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 07.02.37.png

Last edited:
Huseby Bicycle Co......

They produced Bamboo bicycle frames, bars and rims. The picture below iwas taken 1897 - again I will do more indepth research on this comapny soon.
I wonder what happened to the Dietz Museum I assume Wi. ????
View attachment 724242

The first known manufacturing company tenant of the building was Huseby Cycle Company in 1896. Although the company was not among the largest in this time, it was an innovative and unique cycle company. Probably the most significant feature of the Huseby bikes were their use of wood in manufacturing wooden bikes: “Wood frames are a specialty with this company, and they are the only manufacturers of the same in this or any other country.”

The company’s modern production line was able to make 40 bikes as a day, employing 75 skilled workers. Just one year after the establishment of the Huseby Cycle Co., William Casper, the president, died on April 16, 1897, at the age of 58. This, along with the emergence of affordable automobiles for the public around the time, spelled the end for the company.

View attachment 724243

Assignment after William's Death 1896 To Hugo Casper

View attachment 724763

Hugo authorized to sell plant..... ( both from the Wheel )

View attachment 724764

Older posting but a gem of a personal discovery today...also shows that with sadles- what new is a repeat of old for center RELEIF saddles...AWESOME! :)

100,000 Rims to Western Wheel Works by Kundtz Bending Co. in 1899.... From The Wheel may 1899.

May 1899 the wheel Kundtz.png

Back