When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC, wooden rim, unknown maker

-

Familyman

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I no nothing about antique bikes, but wondered if anyone here could hazard a guess about this wooden rim bike's maker and value to a museum or enthusiast. No head badge, no number on the bottom bracket.
It belonged to a U of Ga professor whose career spanned 1890 to 1940. Thanks!
Bike 1.JPG
Bike 2.JPG
bike 4.JPG

Welcome to the cabe.
Are there hole in the front tube for a name plate? are they horizontal or vertical? what's the distance between them. A close up of the bottom bracket (the other side of the chain ring) will be helpful. Also a close up pic of the coaster brake as well. What's the name on the coaster brake arm?

Thanks Bikermaniac. There is one pair of horizontal holes 2.5" apart. In brighter light I now see very faint rounded outline where top of the
name plate might have been. The coaster brake arm says MADE IN ELMIRA N.Y. US, ECLIPSE MCH CO, PATENTED
bottom bracket.JPG
coaster brake.JPG
coaster arm.JPG

I guessing late 1890’s to early 1900’s that’s one super tall frame...wow! Maker is tough one could be anyone.. value well I’d say in then1500 to 2500 +/-.

I would also say Pope bike 1896 or 7 The frame fork crank and pedals and rear drop out are the same as my 1996 Massey Harris bike which I think used a Pope Patent at first. The coaster brake would have been a change at some time because the bike would have had a fixed wheel hub as original .

Also could you show a close up of front hub . It is 28 spoke so i would say original to bike. My bike also has the 2 oilers on bottom bracket that can be seen in first picture.

Also could you show a close up of front hub . It is 28 spoke so i would say original to bike. My bike also has the 2 oilers on bottom bracket that can be seen in first picture.
Thanks to David Brown, Redline 1968, 66TigerCat. What a great forum!
My grandfather was 6' plus. This does seem to be a big frame. I'm 6'1" and I'd have to leap up to the seat. My dad, a depression era kid,
front hub 1.JPG
front hub 2.JPG

talked about putting hoops of leather (old dog collars?) on hubs to shine them a bit as you ride. This bike has something like that.

Thanks to David Brown, Redline 1968, 66TigerCat. What a great forum!
My grandfather was 6' plus. This does seem to be a big frame. I'm 6'1" and I'd have to leap up to the seat. My dad, a depression era kid,View attachment 751205 View attachment 751206
talked about putting hoops of leather (old dog collars?) on hubs to shine them a bit as you ride. This bike has something like that.
Those would be hub shiners familyman.

V/r
Sean

Back