When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too long steer tube solution

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rideahiggins

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
This works, kind of. head badge says Royce Union, made in Germany. It has an unusual springer.
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

Hey rideahiggins, nice ratrod. I had a girls springer that couldnt be cut down and put it on a boys bike. Here is what I did.
I took an old girls frame that had the really long head tube and cut the center part out with a pipe cutter. [illustrated in photo] has to be an old girls frame[very easy to come by] so the jaws of the pipe cutter fits inside between where the top and bottom frame bars were.
The head tube in photo would not be usable with the pipe cutter, only a hack saw. The pipe cutter cuts it perfect. then just weld on to your boys frame, clean up the weld and you are done. You could use a hacksaw and cut a hunk out of any old headtube but it has to be really straight when put on. You can get by without welding it on if you wish but it may spin a little when turning.
004.jpg
005.JPG

more importantly it's off a girls monark which is why it's way too long, If you try to cut down this particular fork and rethread the steer tube it won't work without some serious binding. Trust me I've tried it.

more importantly it's off a girls monark which is why it's way too long, If you try to cut down this particular fork and rethread the steer tube it won't work without some serious binding. Trust me I've tried it.

where and why would that be?

You need to keep the geometry the same- if you shortened the steerer, you'd have to shorten the upper fork legs and the truss rods as well, and probably not by the same amount. To make it work relatively easily (I think) you could chase the threads down far enough to to tighten the bearings, and then add a stack of threadless fork spacers to keep the spring "head" or anvil at the correct height. Just a suggestion, not necessarily a good one.

I did it with spacers, extra nuts or something lol I forgot exactly how,
but it worked no problem. No cutting
here is a pic
I sold that bike

Attachments

• frankenbike 001.jpg
    frankenbike 001.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 97
  • frankenbike 002.jpg
    frankenbike 002.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 102
  • frankenbike 003.jpg