When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Took my new 1971 Schwinn racer out for a cruise tonight...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TimothyNelson

Finally riding a big boys bike
And, on the way back as I was cruising something happened. I am a novice when it comes to maintenance, I know how to keep them clean... everything else I have someone else do for me.

Anyway, I pull off to the side and see that the chain came off of the back sprocket of the rear wheel. I managed to get the chain back on properly but it was still loose, more loose than it was before the event had occurred.

So, being dark outside and in an empty parking lot I shot a text message over to the gentleman who sold me the bike and told him what was going on and if he had any tips for me.

Luckily, he was nice enough to ask where I was and came out and helped me with it. What happened is the lug nut on the left side of the rear wheel of the bike came loose or shifted towards the front of the metal, forgive me for not knowing the terminology.

He turned the bike upside down readjusted the wheel that was rubbing against the chrome fender so it wouldn't spin and tightened up that lug nut really good, but of course she didn't escape unscathed please see attached photo for the new beauty mark that was left by the incident.

I'm one of those people who are OCD about my cars and bikes, this is irritating me, but should it?

If you ride a bike things are going to happen and this was pretty much unavoidable besides me checking the nut to see if it was loose before I rode it, I did ride it home the day I bought it with no issues, it was just a fluke... luck of the draw.

Do you think I should bother to touch it up with some paint or just leave it? I looked at a few of my other Schwinns that I have where nothing like this has happened and they all have some of that marking to a certain degree...so, I'm trying to rationalize to myself and say it's a common occurrence especially in that specific area with that nut occasionally being readjusted or removed etc...

Help me out guys!

IMG_20210921_210811669.jpg

I've seen much worse. To be honest, that wouldn't bother me but then again the paint in that area likes like a new bike. Pretty common area for missing paint but you could possibly touch it up good enough to where it wouldn't catch the eye in a glance.

Any sources to find as close as possible touch up paint? Went to a hardware store and they tried mixing and matching to the chain guard but I felt either option would end up standing out more than the damage.

Any sources to find as close as possible touch up paint? Went to a hardware store and they tried mixing and matching to the chain guard but I felt either option would end up standing out more than the damage.
There have been a few discussions about this on the site. It appears that there is no actual formulas for Schwinn colors. In your case the paint and Aluminium primer work together to get the desired effect. You can not achieve the same finish with a single paint color. As well the materials used to make the original paint are no longer used. Adding to the difficulty in matching the paint. I will be honest the damage you have is minimal and acceptable in the vintage bike world. If you were riding a $8000 dollar bike it would be more of an issue. I understand your wanting to touch it up and I appreciate the dedication. You may at some point just need to pick a color and go with it. Koolest kolors does make Schwinn approved paints and that may be one of the colors they have. Good luck with the bike and if you have any luck with a paint match please post it so others can know as well.

I think I will learn to live with it as additional patina. I just hate when damage happens on my watch. If it was there when I bought it, it wouldn't bother me! But, if I touch it up and make it look worse... further down the rabbit hole. For now, I will accept it!

Thanks!

I think I will learn to live with it as additional patina. I just hate when damage happens on my watch. If it was there when I bought it, it wouldn't bother me! But, if I touch it up and make it look worse... further down the rabbit hole. For now, I will accept it!

Thanks!
Don't give up just yet. Your bike is a '71 it should be Flamboyant red. On ebay Koolest Kolors has that in a touch up bottle.

At first I was thinking, "Awww, no big thing". But then you came along with this "on my watch" comment, it reminded me of how I still feel about a small tear I put in one of my really nice patina seats years ago. I glued it back down so it's hardly visible, and nobody else would probably ever notice it, but I know it's there and feel bad about it every time I see it. So I do know how you feel. BUT, I still love the bike, I still love riding it, and yes, I still love the seat (even though it's visually diminished by maybe half of a percent).

Edit: In the scheme of things however, we should also remember that it truly is,"no big thing".

Last edited:
At first I was thinking, "Awww, no big thing". But then you came along with this "on my watch" comment. And it reminded me of how I still feel about a small tear I put in one of my really nice patina seats years ago. I glued it back down so it's hardly visible, and nobody else would probably ever notice it, but I know it's there and feel bad about it every time I see it. So I do know how you feel. BUT, I still love the bike, I still love riding it, and yes, I still love the seat (even though it's visually diminished by maybe half of a percent).

Edit: In the scheme of things however, we should also remember that it truly is,"no big thing".
Healthy to learn to accept.

At first I was thinking, "Awww, no big thing". But then you came along with this "on my watch" comment, it reminded me of how I still feel about a small tear I put in one of my really nice patina seats years ago. I glued it back down so it's hardly visible, and nobody else would probably ever notice it, but I know it's there and feel bad about it every time I see it. So I do know how you feel. BUT, I still love the bike, I still love riding it, and yes, I still love the seat (even though it's visually diminished by maybe half of a percent).

what about the seat with "me" on it.

if you plan on being a bike rider things are going to happen.Wait till a gust of wind knocks your bike over on to the pavement.

Back