When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Took my new 1971 Schwinn racer out for a cruise tonight...

-
I've had the same thing happen. One thing I've used is a more "toothy" washer. A problem that can happen with the 3-speeds is that a small shift in the wheel position, even before it rubs, can cause the shifter indicator chain to get out of adjustment and you can get in between gears and freewheel or grind. Remember the cable is slack in third gear and if you put the shifter into third and have a slack cable you can still ride home if you don't have the tools to move the wheel. A bit of a tougher ride but better than grinding. The Sheldon Brown site is loaded with good info on the Sturmey Archer hubs. Here's a link to the indicator chain adjustment,

I don't think drop outs should have paint on em, nuts and washers can't get a good grip. You pedaled so hard you moved the wheel forward!
For me, touching up the drop outs would be like shining the tread on your tires and then being bummed out when they got marked up from the pavement.

This scar is part of your story of riding this bike...if it was meant to be pristine it would be collecting dust hanging in the garage.

I have never seen a unscratched dropout unless its a brand new bike....don't stress about it...ride that beauty.

Back