When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tool list for working on vintage Schwinns

-
I started out working on Huffy's, JC Penney bikes and whatever I found on the curb set out for trash. I didn't know much but learned a lot working on them and made a lot of mistakes but fortunately didn't ruin any good bikes. The first "good" bike I found was a World Sport but I put it aside cause I didn't want to screw it up and I didn't have a crank puller. Later, I got the puller and gained some knowledge and I tore it apart down to the frame, cleaned and repacked all the bearings and it became my favorite ride for many happy miles. It now rests on my wall in the man cave and every time I look at it I remember the joy it gave to me.

My working knowledge came from books, the net, the CABE, friends, and asking questions of locals who knew more than I did.

As for tools, I gathered all I needed in steps. Yard sales, flea markets, Craig's list, bike shows and bike shops were my best sources. At one point I purchased a set of Park cone wrenchs for $2 each and from CL a Park stand (one of the better models) dirty and with paint all over it but in perfect working condition for $25. And the crank puller I got for $3 looked like it was never used. This past weekend I got a Park head nut wrench for $2 so the bargains are still out there. I don't think I have invested $150 for all my tools and can work on almost any older bike and that includes my compressor for which I paid a whopping $25, an early morning yard sale find.

cc.jpg

Finally, I throw virtually nothing away except frames, rusty chains, bent beyond repair items, and old tires/tubes. I usually despoke wheels and keep the hub, spokes, and nipples. I don't have much left for older bikes however, cause I sold off much of my collection a number of years ago but I still find things lurking in corners like these axel sets.

combo.jpg

It's been a hoot over the past few decades. I figure over the years I've about broken even while pursuing a hobby that was fun and paid great health dividends. I've done over 10,000 miles since hip replacement and while suffering from a hernia, kidney stones, Parkinson's and spinal stenosis.

My point to all this bable is there are few hobbies, if any, that cost less and provide more enjoyment. Good luck on your efforts.

Last edited:
this is what I use on anything post-1950 Schwinn
best tool for them ;)
oxygen and acetylene Victor cutting torch
victor-cutting-torch-sets-welding-cutting-torch-set-up-acetylene-victor-victor-cutting-torch-s...jpg

just kidding obviously, but @bikemonkey probably summed it up perfectly

Last edited:
I always use a bike stand with a tool tray.Also a magnetic dish from Harbor Freight for small screws,etc, I also put a plastic tarp under the Parks bike stand.When tittle parts or ball bearings fall on a concrete floor they roll under things and are impossible to find at times.The tarp prevents the little parts from getting lost or bouncing away.

I always use a bike stand with a tool tray.Also a magnetic dish from Harbor Freight for small screws,etc, I also put a plastic tarp under the Parks bike stand.When tittle parts or ball bearings fall on a concrete floor they roll under things and are impossible to find at times.The tarp prevents the little parts from getting lost or bouncing away.
No joke..I spend way too much time looking for small parts (never did find that tank screw) that bounce into the 4th dimension...frustrating as hell...

The tool that I've gotten the most use out of lately is the 2" x 3" x 1/2" magnet that's taped to a 3' long dowel rod. Great for reaching into all those places screws, nuts, washers, etc., which have a mind of their own, like to hide. I drove a nail into an overhead rafter just to have a place to hang it that makes it easily accessible.

A bike stand, chain breaker tool, a adjustable wrench, a collection of screw drivers, spoke wrench (this will allow you to complete most of the work, even if you don't always have the right tool for the job.

Over the years I have purchased several specialty tools when needed for convenience, but was almost always able to figure out alternative ways of getting things done when needed before I had them.

I had a good head start, with various inherited non biking themed hand tools, and was able to crudely make a few items I needed at times just to get the job done.

Just start with the basics, and buy them when you need them. Years later, I have so many miscellaneous tools I sometimes forget I have them. My thinking always was I could either pay someone to do this for me, or buy the tool and have it for ever.

Tools for cranks, bottom brackets and cassette removal are specialized tools for specific purposes. When you can''t figure out another way buy them when you need them. I have found the right tool makes the job much easier, but is not always necessary to get the job at hand done.

If you ever get stuck, and are not sure what tool you need for your bike, I'm sure people here will be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Back