When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 Most sought after Balloon tire bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have been Googling all these bikes as I am new to the scene and learning. I'd have to add that that CWC Roadmaster Supreme is the finest looking bike I have ever seen. It tops my list...with no bugeye tank BTW.

My Top 10 Ballooner list would be:

1. 1934/35 Fully Equipped Colson Hi-Lo
2. Aerocycle in non Red/Silver
3. 1935 Colson Aristocrat
4. 1936 Roadmaster 0626 (w/ chrome fenders)
5. 1935/36 Shelby (with the stainless tank, either the 35 rain gutter fenders, or the big deep Chrome fenders for '36)
6. 1935/36? All chrome Iver Johnson Mobicycle
7. 1936 Westfield built Mead Ranger
8. 1934/35 Westfield built Deluxe Mens (Any "Falcon/Blackhawk" type bike that isn't an Elgin)
9. 1938 Elgin Robin Shaft Drive
10. Either a Elgin Skylark or a lower model Twin-Bar. (nothing above a 40, 60's are just ugly)\

So far as the prewar/postwar divide goes, I think the bikes from the 30s were top shelf, compared to postwar where there seemed to be a bit more hegemony amongst the bikes. Not much in terms of take a chance artistic design. Take a bike like the Phantom and B6, yes, there were lovely bikes, but everything that made remotely interesting dated to 1940/41. I think perhaps the only truly phenomenal post war Ballooner was the X-53. That was really the only post war bike to capture the idea that parts should be seamlessly integrated with each other for artistic effect. Not just, "Oh, we have to have a rear carrier/tank/headlight because all deluxe bikes do."

Wes

Alot of very good lists here. I say it's like music and cars. Very one has it's opinion. The best thing is the engernering that went into these bikes, special designs.
I am pacial to the Areocycle beging my dream bike. but I rode a 1938 twin flex not to long ago and it was smooth like my prewar schwinn.
Some day.
mitch

I'd like to find any of these behind a hidden wall in a deserted barn...

1. 1935 Elgin Gull
2. Dayton Death Bike
3. Monark Silver King Rocket Twin Bar
4. Colson Imperial Twin Cushion
5. 1939 Firestone Flying Ace
6. 1913 Flying Merkel twin suspension (not a ballooner, but who'd turn it down?)
7. Alexander Rocket
8. 1936 Indian
9. Spiegal Airman or Comet twin suspension 5-bar
10. Silver King Wingbar

Last edited:
Top 3 but I've seen a lot of sweet looking bike that are all new to me.

Top 3 but I've seen a lot of sweet looking bikes that are all new to me. I'm sure these might drop down if I had time to get to know more bikes.
I wanted to get A Blackhawk the first time I set eyes on it. The Bluebird and Robin are also tops for me. One of these days I'll have all three...right after a divorce and all three kids are in and out of college and married off. That's if I'm still alive!

The whole top 10 list (concerning balloon tire bicycles), in my opinion, is in "one bike", the 1930's ELGIN ROBIN shaft drive. Sold years ago and I heard Jesse James restored it and I would have left it alone being so unique. There was a time when all three prototypes could have been purchased from one person who owned all three for one price. So you know, all three were slightly different but all were shaft drives. In retrospect, when something you know is rare and comes across your path, don't hesitate.
Can anyone of you speculate what one of these bikes would be worth today? And their worth if all three were together again?

The whole top 10 list (concerning balloon tire bicycles), in my opinion, is in "one bike", the 1930's ELGIN ROBIN shaft drive. Sold years ago and I heard Jesse James restored it and I would have left it alone being so unique. There was a time when all three prototypes could have been purchased from one person who owned all three for one price. So you know, all three were slightly different but all were shaft drives. In retrospect, when something you know is rare and comes across your path, don't hesitate.
Can anyone of you speculate what one of these bikes would be worth today? And their worth if all three were together again?

Jesse didn't restore it. He bought it that way. He sold it a long time ago.

If I remember right, two of them sold within days of each other for around $30,000 a piece.
So if all three were still together, possibly, $100,000 ?
It's always a hard sell for someone unwilling to break up a set.
Probably the reason they are no longer together.
There's been some speculation that none of those bikes were factory original prototypes.
They sure looked original to me, but I've never seen one in person.

Back