When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top of the Line Sears (Austrian Puch)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

is the bicycle discussed in the link close to your father's example?

or perhaps it is somewhat earlier if it comes from about the same time as the subject machine in this discussion thread...

-----
No - my Dad's looks like this one. I would have guessed it was an early 70's model, but definitely an upright rider, not a drop bar racer

SearsBicycle-01.jpg

No - my Dad's looks like this one. I would have guessed it was an early 70's model, but definitely an upright rider, not a drop bar racer

View attachment 1645550

-----

thank you for the clarification and photo

had not considered the possibility of it being a dreiganger

there may be a date marked upon the shell of the cycle's Fichtel & Sachs rear hub

lighting appears to be provided by a Soubitez Nr. 89 combination dynamo and headlamp

safety tip: prior to usage please make sure there is adequate engagement between stem and steerer; ~7cm is the bare minimum for safety...

---

EDIT:

oops: reread text and see that this is an example rather than the actual machine 😳

...was wondering why someone in the Tar Heel state would have a cycle licensed in California

-----

Last edited:
Seen versions of these in parts and sometimes in beat up shape. There are a couple of threads asking how much they are worth, etc.
So I thought since this one is in all-around great condition, it would be good to get some pics in a thread for posterity.
This one has to be the TOTL for the Sears range. Ted Williams Put his name on all their sports equipment like he was some kind of all-round Olympic Sport God. So much so that nobody today even knows who he is or what his actual claim to fame is. (it had nothing to do with bikes).

Although all of the decals are nearly perfect, I cant pick out one that shows any special materials. Two of them on the seat tube at top cant be read.
It is what it is... and still a very cool bike by any standards.
Its for sale locally and I snagged these pics of the internet. Its tempting but.... nah.

View attachment 1634567

View attachment 1634563

View attachment 1634559

View attachment 1634558

View attachment 1634560

View attachment 1634561

View attachment 1634562

View attachment 1634564

View attachment 1634565

View attachment 1634566
I stumbled onto a Puch Bergmeister and I'm wondering what year it is. Does anyone know ?

Seen versions of these in parts and sometimes in beat up shape. There are a couple of threads asking how much they are worth, etc.
So I thought since this one is in all-around great condition, it would be good to get some pics in a thread for posterity.
This one has to be the TOTL for the Sears range. Ted Williams Put his name on all their sports equipment like he was some kind of all-round Olympic Sport God. So much so that nobody today even knows who he is or what his actual claim to fame is. (it had nothing to do with bikes).

Although all of the decals are nearly perfect, I cant pick out one that shows any special materials. Two of them on the seat tube at top cant be read.
It is what it is... and still a very cool bike by any standards.
Its for sale locally and I snagged these pics of the internet. Its tempting but.... nah.

View attachment 1634567

View attachment 1634563

View attachment 1634559

View attachment 1634558

View attachment 1634560

View attachment 1634561

View attachment 1634562

View attachment 1634564

View attachment 1634565

View attachment 1634566

20230623_123239.jpg

20230623_123150.jpg

20230623_123124_7.jpg

20230623_123121.jpg

20230623_123053.jpg

20230623_122355.jpg

-----

the last year for this model of Weinmann Vainqueur 999 brake caliper was about 1963

the details of the cycle's Campag Gran Sport rear mech can also be a helpful date bracketing clue

it was introduced in 1952 and enjoyed a rather long production life with differing iterations

you can look at them at velobase.com and see where the example on the bicycle lines up as relates to time

someone certainly made a fine hatchet job of converting the cycle from a gents to a ladies

pretty much valueless save for value of fittings...

original colour was most likely an orangish gold flambouyant

-----

I have been trying to determine the differences of the Gran Sport rear mech for awhile and when they were modified. The lower pivot (P) spring housing is different on at least 3 units that I have (all obtained as loose units, so no bikes to use as a reference). I need to photo side by side to detail the differences. Disraeli Gears is somewhat informative on this front, but there needs to be a more definitive timeline as to when specific differences arose and when they were being used on specific (known year) bikes. I will post photos on a separate thread to show some of the differences and maybe others can give examples of bikes (specifying the mech's differences) that originally came equipped with these mechs and provide a better estimate of the years in which the changes occurred.

-----

Ollie O -

the Steyr/Puch products of this era have one unique dimension it is good to be aware of

the steerers are 26.0mm in outside diameter

this means that the headsets are special

the dimension is sometimes referred to in the trade as "Austrian size" although it is employed by no other manufacturer

-----

Here are some more pics and points in the effort to evaluate the totality of the bike :
The rear brake is not Weinmann 999, so that puts more in question that the bike is, or is not, pre 1964.
The front derailleur doesn't have the chrome plating that the bike higher up in this thread has.

20230624_134546.jpg

20230624_134610.jpg

20230624_135443.jpg

Here are some more pics and points in the effort to evaluate the totality of the bike :
The rear brake is not Weinmann 999, so that puts more in question that the bike is, or is not, pre 1964.
The front derailleur doesn't have the chrome plating that the bike higher up in this thread has.

View attachment 1859422

View attachment 1859423

View attachment 1859424
O yeah , and the chain doesn't have any link to take it apart. After 5 days in vinegar it's almost rust free. I think there's some cracks in it.

-----

Ollie O

front brake caliper definitely original

rear brake caliper definitely not
(btw it is also a 999; the red label which sat in the recess on the outer caliper arm face has gone missing; it proclaimed this information)
C3F113A7-3E3F-4780-AB13-BF200AB4EAF4.jpg

estimate cycle to come to us from the time window of ~1958-1963

guesstimate that earliest importation of Bergies to the U.S. would have been late 1950's

other clues to the earliness of your example in addition to the front brake caliper are the headplate and the fork

fork constructed with a track style crown and round blades with dimples on the inside for tyre clearance

you should be able to narrow the date of your example by browsing back Sears catalogues which are posted online. a Sears badged version of the Bergie was sold for a good period.

back Sears catalogues are archived online by year. suggest to begin with the year 1958; no need to look past the year 1963.

chain lacks master link because it is a derailleur chain

a master link would hang up as it went through the chain path on a derailleur geared cycle

derailleur chains come apart (and go back together) with a tool called a chain rivet press

it is likely the cycle's drive chain comes from either the firm Union Frondenberg or Wippermann

their logos look like this -

Union Frondenberg symbol  .jpg

Wippermann Red Star drive chain .jpg

-----

Last edited:
Back