When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torrington 8 Refurb Tutorial Needed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Buster1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Torrington 8 Refurb Tutorial Needed *Update

My old T8s were kinda "grindy" on a longer ride yesterday. Does anyone have any experience pulling them apart and re-greasing / checking them?

Last edited:
What part specifically did you have questions about? The 8s and 10s are composed basically of an axle with axle cover and two sets of bearings in the cover cups, one set on either end, all held together with the axle shank at one end and an adjustable nut on the other. I've fixed a few pairs over the years.

Mike, you are correct, I just decided to "bust into it" today and went ahead and fully OH'd a pair of T8s. It wasn't that difficult. They roll like butta now!

My biggest issue is this...

IMG_4575-1.jpg

For some reason this particular pair has these flange clips on it which require destruction to remove. I will be searching some obscure hardware stores soon for replacements. But until then I was able to get these pedals back in order by dropping in a small washer and using a 1/4" E Clip to secure it. It is as good or better that the OG flanged style, however it doesn't look the same. But it is sturdy! If you have the kind without threaded ends/nuts and have just the post and groove, the 1/4" E Clip is perfect!

IMG_4582-1.jpg

Those pop clips are awful. They break up pretty easily. I'd be inclined to stick with what you have added there, if they are secure. The earlier pedals have the usual small hex nuts- nice for removal and rebuilding. The little press clips just seem to break up on you. I go out of my way to find the earlier hex nut type when I can get them. You certainly can work with the pop-off clip types, but then you usually end up replacing the clips like you did in the end. I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to cut threads with a die and then use hex nuts on those block skewers. I think you did just fine with what you have there though.

The biggest issue is usually either old grease/dust, or the end nut on the bearings is out of adjustment. Normally these Torrington bearings are pretty good, and once refreshed, roll nicely.

The next time I rebuild some 8s or 10s I'll do a blog entry on them with pictures. It's not too hard, but the pictures are always nice.

Mike, you are correct, I just decided to "bust into it" today and went ahead and fully OH'd a pair of T8s. It wasn't that difficult. They roll like butta now!

My biggest issue is this...

IMG_4575-1.jpg

For some reason this particular pair has these flange clips on it which require destruction to remove. I will be searching some obscure hardware stores soon for replacements. But until then I was able to get these pedals back in order by dropping in a small washer and using a 1/4" E Clip to secure it. It is as good or better that the OG flanged style, however it doesn't look the same. But it is sturdy! If you have the kind without threaded ends/nuts and have just the post and groove, the 1/4" E Clip is perfect!

IMG_4582-1.jpg

Last edited:
Good temporary solution, and thanks for the tip. BUT, if you find the correct push nuts at some obscure hardware store, please buy some for me too. I need 4 of 'em. I haven't been able to find these here yet.

Last edited:
Having nut problems again Dave?I'll check around to see if anyone has a pair they aren't using.Will P.M.ya

I know it wouldn't technically be "Restored" but why not thread the ends of the pedal pad shafts and put a nut on them?

Video, those were close, thanks.

Kraut, those look perfect...don't need 50 though right? Are you gonna get them? If so I'll chip in for a handful of 'em.

Back