When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torrington Pedals--NOS, Original, or Repop?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TieDye

I live for the CABE
What do I have here? They are ladies for sure. Look at the pictures and tell me what you think. NOS, Original, or Repop? And, are they 9's or 11's? And, what are they worth? And, what models and brands of bikes would they be used on, as in correct for the model and year. Thanks.
Deb

20181114_151726.jpg

20181114_151715.jpg

Endplates look kind of thin, machining on pedal shaft threads seems not quite right. What do the R & L stamps look like? Maybe what's throwing me off is they have been disassembled and buffed. There are others here who would know more definitively than I like...

@Heart-like-a-lion

Thanks to @Heart-like-a-lion for his help. He has shared his expertise with me and I am very grateful. I have learned a lot, and have answers.
What I actually have here is an expensive $140.00 lesson. Some people will take advantage of someone that was new in this hobby (addiction) at that time. I was told these were "rare prewar NOS clay block ladies pedals." I wanted them for my 1938....
I have learned a lot in 3 years, but especially in the last few days. When in reality, what I was sold was most likely a set of postwar repop metal parts, one set of prewar style blocks, and 2 postwar style repop blocks. The person that sold them to me 3 years ago took advantage of me. Shame on him. Lesson learned.....
I guess that's a good example of why sharing your bicycle knowledge is a good thing. It will help "grow" this hobby and keep the love of antique and vintage bicycles alive for future generations.
Thanks to all you guys that have been helpful, respectful, and nice to me. Thanks again.
Deb
"TieDye"

One of the things I've noticed is the "R" and the "L" stamped. The fact that they had the little mushroom tang on the center tube, make them look legit. but the fact that the tube is about to split..defentiley would be suspect. Were the blocks at least usable? I've gotten a good price on NOS ladies T-9 only to get rock hard, non-useable blocks.

I'm sure almost everyone one here has had this lesson, so don't worry just join the club and double and triple check things.

also don't forget to put that SELLER on the "do not buy from list"

One of the things I've noticed is the "R" and the "L" stamped. The fact that they had the little mushroom tang on the center tube, make them look legit. but the fact that the tube is about to split..defentiley would be suspect. Were the blocks at least usable? I've gotten a good price on NOS ladies T-9 only to get rock hard, non-useable blocks.

I'm sure almost everyone one here has had this lesson, so don't worry just join the club and double and triple check things.

also don't forget to put that SELLER on the "do not buy from list"
The blocks are useable. Anything rubber will get rock hard if it's been exposed to the elements at all. Sun, cold, abrasion, etc. makes it hard and crumbly. It's like the 65 year weatherstripping on my truck--just isn't pliable enough to work right. The center sleeve can be helped out a bit with a few taps in the right spot. I've had old pedals that needed a love tap and have been fine.
I guess I have an expensive set of pedals to use on a bike that has no pedals. At least I could ride the bike then until I get more legit pedals.
And, yeah, I have put the seller on the "ignore" list.

Back