When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tour De Tucson Vintage Schwinn Lightweight

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-a
~
%
OAuth Error:2001

z
Here is my what I call the "Varsity Super 12". Started out as 1965 Tourist model with many missing parts.
I stripped it even more down and raided my parts bins. Has now Shimano 600 Crank and brakes, Araya Aluminum Rims and a 12spd freewheel in the rear. I like piecing together bikes, especially if the end result is about 10lbs lighter than the actual Varsity.
The BB was converted with these common available adapters and are easy to install.
VAR 12-1 - Copy.jpg

Update.....
Put together a mock-up of what direction it is going.

These will be the temp wheels until I get the prelude rims polished and laced to their new 2 speed hub. Both are 27"s
The seat and bars wont be that high up, but this is the attitude it will have.
Right now Im thinking 72' Schwinn Opaque Green for the color.
When I find a suitable SS frame, this one will be re-arranged for sale and a lot of the parts will be swapped over.
I plan on that SS ChroMo frame being white with the racer RWB bands.
But... who knows? Its all a jumble till its not.
2 pics appropriately poised in front of my shops contemplation Love seat. (I love to contemplate)
I think it looks pretty good with a mix of modern road bike and vintage board racer
It weighs 16lbs as it sits. This may end up hovering around 25lbs... pretty good for a mild steel frame, 1pc crank

Done except for two upgrades that are going to be on hold for a short while.
This bike has turned out to be a real looker, and it rides real well. I've put about 40 miles on it by now.
I've decided I need a bit softer ride in the seat so I'm going to swap the B17 with a Champion Flyer. And the intended wheels will be done soon. They are A pair of Weinmann 27x1"s that are pretty fancy of an 86' Prelude. The rear will be the same hub but the front will be a high flange Sturmey Archer. New Paselas on there for a while but these Schwalbe Marathon are pretty good tires. I think they'll squeeze on those prelude rims too.
I think its a pretty good weight at 27lbs just like it sits
The run-down is mostly-ish Schwinn and Approved stuff

67' Speedster single speed frame. Painted 72' Opaque green. Kickstand delete plate
Asuki CHro-Mo fork for 27" tire with a stock "lightweight" Headset.
Repaired and re-conditioned Schwinn Track Stem
Oxrford aluminum handlebars w/ early 60's black grips and a Weinman his/hers brake lever.
Weinman engraved front center pull front brake
Cageless waterproof BB on a GT 7.5 Chro-Mo Crank
63' Schwinn Sprint 39t steel sprocket, lightweight chain, 19t cog all 3/32"
Atom 440 pedals w/modern plastic strapless toe clips
71' Continental seat clamp on a 14" post and Brooks B17 seat
Right now the Wheels are steel Macari Torinos with the Schwalbe Marathons. They are actually pretty light. The rear hub is The Sturmey-Archer SC2 2spd/ coaster brake. 60/

I think this is going to be a "Forever" Bike.

Last edited:
Back