When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transporting a Cycle Truck?

-

IngoMike

I live for the CABE
I am picking up a cycle truck in a couple of days and just realized that getting it here, about an hour's drive, could be trouble. I have a rear hitch mount two bike hanging rack, or a hitch mounted motorcycle rack? Or, I could also bring the wife's SRX, hope I can do some disassembly, and toss most of it inside. I am planning on taking the 2 bike rack and SRX combination and hope that gets it done, but I am looking for any experienced helpful insight. Hopefully, I am tossing it as is up on the bike rack and strapping it down.......
I did an hour or more of research here on the Cabe and see many great cycle truck pictures, but I could not find one of a cycle truck being transported.
Here is the bike.....
s-l500.jpg

I transport mine in my pickup.. just take off your basket and brackets your problem is solved ...

Hello , I transport my CT on my double bike swagman hitch rack. And normally ok by itself.. but if 2bikes I pull the basket off . It’s tricky not scratching the paint lifting the basket off. But you get used to it . I had a truck mount rack.. and also could haul it w/o the rack that way.. but hitch rack was way nicer.
29aa7cd6eb3c4aa8f01861a44d39b480.jpg
73967c28210a97860700f6100d872121.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve transported them on a hitch rack with and without a basket, take the basket and sign off to make it easier.
When you “clean up” the bike use wing nuts to get the basket on and off easier/quicker.

I understand the photo thing. I have a few of these, and have now got a little van (Transit Connect) that I haul them inside of, instead of outside on a rack as I did for years on the Crown Victoria. I used a well made 4 bike rack on the car and was able to carry two of them facing opposing directions on the back of the car.
I just went through the folders in the computer and only found one photo that even showed a portion of the rack on the car! I used it from 2004 through August of 2010 when the car self ignited and I replaced it with the van. It was an Allen four bike rack and was very heavy duty
REC

Thank you all for the replies;
- If I had a pickup, I would not be asking.....
- I hate to rent a trailer for just the one bike, but I could stop by Frosty's in S. San Jose on the way home......
- I am hoping the basket/sign removal is not a big deal, thank you for the wing nut tip.....
- I was not necessarily looking for photos, just quality info., but photos are always welcome.......
So far, I am still going with the 2 bike rack and hoping I can remove something to make it fit better. The bike is only an hour away, but I like to drive very fast, especially in the SRX, so it needs to be a little low profile. I will post some pics of what went down after I pick up the bike on Wednesday....

No problem, tossed it on the two bike rack and strapped it down, no disassembly needed. I like to drive fast, so it was well secured and made it home in record time.
fullsizeoutput_f96.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f95.jpeg

There was a strange rotted out rear seat pan/sissy bar on it when I got it......
IMG_8077.JPG

Back