When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trash or Treasure Montgomery Ward - Hawthorne No visible SN# Found

-

Ohio Mike

On Training Wheels
Trash or treasure? Before I repurpose this mid-century modern Montgomery Ward Hawthorne into a planter or yard-art I thought I best check with the experts to see if it has any value beyond “Objet d’art”. I looked closely for a serial number and only found the letters SE stamped on the left rear dropout. The head badge is metal and riveted on with the curious address of Chicago “7” , Ill. Seat, bars and rear rack all look OEM, but as you can see the front basket rack braces are still in place and all that remains of what may have been attached

Does anyone have any idea of the age and value to collectors? Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the CABE!!
post war ladies bikes aren't really collectible yet. Good for a lady rider tho.
Age, was gonna say 1960ish, but with Chgo 7, probably mid 50's? Value about price of a Pizza. Kool Yard art tho-

I will throw my hat into the ring on this one because I have learned a really different outlook on this subject.
As most vintage bike collectors know, you will often end up with bikes like this in group-buys or just end up with them given to you and at the end of the day they arent worth dealing with in alot of situations.
I realized after years of doing this, that there are actually a decent amount of young girls and ladies who are into restoring and riding vintage bikes and just cant jump right in with a Phantom or an Elgin or something of that nature. I started posting them for real cheap, like 50-75 bucks and I was surprised to sell all of them to 18-30 year old women who were actually going to rebuild and ride them.
So....having said that, instead of letting to go back into the earth, maybe pass this one to a girl to build as her own starter bike and stoke the flames of passion in someone else.

Thank you all for the prompt replies. Yard Art it is. Just a small detail before that happens. This idea of it possibly being worth a pizza? So, would that be small, medium of large and plain cheese or one of those everything supreme deep crust pies. I'm asking just in case I think I can negotiate a trade with the pizza delivery guy. Just kidding. I like the idea of getting a young person involved in that process. Particularly some mechanically inclined student with engineering potential. An easy and effective way to mentor that doesn't break the bank - thanks again for the always invaluable historic information.

Back