When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Travis Bicycle Motor?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

RadRacer203

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I'm thinking of picking up one of these old Travis friction drive motors to put on my '52 Murray, I just had a few questions if anyone has experience with them. Basically I can't find much info on them at all, I was wondering what the fuel mix is and if I can use a modern synthetic oil. Does anyone know how the drive system works, like is there a clutch or do you have to manually engage the motor and use the compression release when coming to a stop? Also, does anyone know the history on the motor? It looks suspiciously similar to a Power Products motor I have, maybe Power Products or another comany built it to their specs?

I have 2 travis motors the fuel mix was 16 to 1 #30w oil there is a measuring cup built-in the gas cap ,there is no clutch direct drive friction wheel that rubs on tire you have to manually disengage when coming to a complete stop, you might try google for more info

I have 2 travis motors the fuel mix was 16 to 1 #30w oil there is a measuring cup built-in the gas cap ,there is no clutch direct drive friction wheel that rubs on tire you have to manually disengage when coming to a complete stop, you might try google for more info
I've been looking but there's not much info out there on them. I couldn't even find a video of someone demonstrating theirs. Fortunately the one I'm getting does have the manual but I can't find any info about the operation of it and how to set it up. Of course I won't be picking up for a while with the pandemic and all but I'm really curious how it actually works. There aren't even any good high resolution pictures of them for the most part. Just looking at it it looks like to engage and diswngage the drive there's a lever you have to reach down and pull on the right side, is that correct? I'm thinking I'll probably run some modern high performance synthetic oil in it but still at 16:1 just as cheap insurance.

the manual will have instructions on setup and a parts list,i made a copy of one that was online but don't ask me where,there were 2 models a 1hp and a 1 1/2,mine are both 1hp I believe

I'll see if I can find an online manual. One of the few things I did find is that the 1hp model has a thinner tanks than the 1.5, so I believe mine is the 1.5hp one

I've been looking but there's not much info out there on them. I couldn't even find a video of someone demonstrating theirs. Fortunately the one I'm getting does have the manual but I can't find any info about the operation of it and how to set it up. Of course I won't be picking up for a while with the pandemic and all but I'm really curious how it actually works. There aren't even any good high resolution pictures of them for the most part. Just looking at it it looks like to engage and diswngage the drive there's a lever you have to reach down and pull on the right side, is that correct? I'm thinking I'll probably run some modern high performance synthetic oil in it but still at 16:1 just as cheap insurance.
I acquired a Travis 1.5 HP recently, mostly there, and have some of the same questions as you have.
I completely disassembled it and replaced the bearings, gaskets and magneto coil. It started and runs on the bench and I am now mounting it on an old Western Flyer bike. Would be pleased to discuss further if you are so inclined.
Fred, (Philadelphia area)

I've run one... was ok, rather have a Whizzer. Travis mill make you bike flop over in slightest wind (top heavy). 24/1 gas/oil mix I think. sprays oily exhaust on your legs. Difficult to stop in emergency.

I've run one... was ok, rather have a Whizzer. Travis mill make you bike flop over in slightest wind (top heavy). 24/1 gas/oil mix I think. sprays oily exhaust on your legs. Difficult to stop in emergency.
Here is one that I have..

219.JPG

217.JPG

221.JPG

216.JPG

218.JPG

A Schwinn bike with one of these motors at the Mecum 2020 Las Vegas Auction , sold for $6050.00!!

Back