When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold Tricycle Hard Rubber Tires-Firestone-NOS & GOOD USED

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I do not need any of your semi pneumatic tires. I'm looking for some tricycle air tires.

As a kid working in my family Schwinn store, I have mounted hundreds of semi pneumatic tires over the years. Here's some "learned the hard way" mounting advice from an old guy.

Obviously the larger the diameter size, the easier it is to mount. The 8" and 10" are tough, also the 1.75 are tougher than the 1 5/8 and 1.50 widths. You want the tire to be a warm as possible (almost too hot to touch) when mounting. We put the tires out on the asphalt during a Arizona summer day for a hour or more. These tires are extruded, think like a hose. They have two ends glued/vulcanized together. If you look closely you will find the seam. That seam has to go on the rim first, you CANNOT PRY AGAINST THAT SEAM, it will crack. If you look closely, there is usually one vent hole about 1/8" in the tread of the tire. That vent hole is 180 degrees across from the seam. So the seam goes on first and you work the tire on towards the vent hole. You want to use some makeshift tire levers. Never a screwdriver, especially a Craftsman with the square shank. The best tire levers to use for mounting the semi pneumatic tires was the old New Departure and Bendix cone wrenches. They were tool steel, thin, and had rounded (no sharp) edges. Never pry the tire onto the rim, you will poke a hole in it like the one in the picture. Instead, pry against the rim and slide the tire over the rim. The best lubricant I have found is Honda Motorcycle spray polish. The Schwinn spray polish worked good also. The polish will not dry out when your half way done. It will not hurt the painted rim, and can be washed off when your done. One the small sizes, I would buy one extra tire just in case. Remember, these are old stock, likely harder than they were 40 years ago. One of the most amazing things I have seen is my dad (60 years ago) mount an 8 x 1.75 semi pneumatic tire without any tools, just his hands using the above method. Get that tire hot and pliable and pay close attention to the seam location, work away from that seam.

1Motime, sorry to screw up your post, hopefully this will help you sell these tires to someone that needs them.

John

I do not need any of your semi pneumatic tires. I'm looking for some tricycle air tires.

As a kid working in my family Schwinn store, I have mounted hundreds of semi pneumatic tires over the years. Here's some "learned the hard way" mounting advice from an old guy.

Obviously the larger the diameter size, the easier it is to mount. The 8" and 10" are tough, also the 1.75 are tougher than the 1 5/8 and 1.50 widths. You want the tire to be a warm as possible (almost too hot to touch) when mounting. We put the tires out on the asphalt during a Arizona summer day for a hour or more. These tires are extruded, think like a hose. They have two ends glued/vulcanized together. If you look closely you will find the seam. That seam has to go on the rim first, you CANNOT PRY AGAINST THAT SEAM, it will crack. If you look closely, there is usually one vent hole about 1/8" in the tread of the tire. That vent hole is 180 degrees across from the seam. So the seam goes on first and you work the tire on towards the vent hole. You want to use some makeshift tire levers. Never a screwdriver, especially a Craftsman with the square shank. The best tire levers to use for mounting the semi pneumatic tires was the old New Departure and Bendix cone wrenches. They were tool steel, thin, and had rounded (no sharp) edges. Never pry the tire onto the rim, you will poke a hole in it like the one in the picture. Instead, pry against the rim and slide the tire over the rim. The best lubricant I have found is Honda Motorcycle spray polish. The Schwinn spray polish worked good also. The polish will not dry out when your half way done. It will not hurt the painted rim, and can be washed off when your done. One the small sizes, I would buy one extra tire just in case. Remember, these are old stock, likely harder than they were 40 years ago. One of the most amazing things I have seen is my dad (60 years ago) mount an 8 x 1.75 semi pneumatic tire without any tools, just his hands using the above method. Get that tire hot and pliable and pay close attention to the seam location, work away from that seam.

1Motime, sorry to screw up your post, hopefully this will help you sell these tires to someone that needs them.

John
Great information - thx

Hi John
These were sold a couple of years ago. Takes me awhile to hit the SOLD button.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your mounting suggestions. I have mounted a couple over the years. Always a battle. Especially the small diameter tires. You are right about heat being important. I was using Ivory soap but will look into using the polish!

The seam placement is a great tip. Didn't know that. I have a set that hopefully will be installed before I lose all interest. The seam will be paid attention to! Your Dad must have a strong grip! These things can be hard.

Now you made me wish I had gotten spares!

Thanks
Rick

John

I agree with above BUT nowadays we use a dedicated Microwave to heat the tires to desired temp and hold them with welding gloves !
I stock many sizes of semi Pneumatic tires ; 10" up to 20" if anyone needs them...

I agree with above BUT nowadays we use a dedicated Microwave to heat the tires to desired temp and hold them with welding gloves !
I stock many sizes of semi Pneumatic tires ; 10" up to 20" if anyone needs them...
What amount of time do you recommend for proper microwave heating of tires? Can they get over heated? If rims are already painted can they blister?
Thanks

Practice on the old tire or pieces of it. You heat it in small batches (30-40 seconds to start) and keep checking pliability. Go Slow because if you go too fast the tire sidewalls will start to bubble.
I went to goodwill / Resale shop and bought the largest above the stove one I could find for $25.00. Practice practice practice and you’ll be successful using just heat , welding gloves & a helper to install one. NO TOOLS are used when doing it this way.

Practice on the old tire or pieces of it. You heat it in small batches (30-40 seconds to start) and keep checking pliability. Go Slow because if you go too fast the tire sidewalls will start to bubble.
I went to goodwill / Resale shop and bought the largest above the stove one I could find for $25.00. Practice practice practice and you’ll be successful using just heat , welding gloves & a helper to install one. NO TOOLS are used when doing it this way.
Good advice. Thanks Especially about the practice part. Now to make some time for another project!

Back