When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Triple Step VS Drop Center

-

mazdaflyer

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I’m working on an old Camel Back Columbia bicycle. The front wheel had a drop center clincher rim. It needs to be respoked. The rear wheel is a triple step rim.
I have another drop center wheel and a triple step wheel.
Id like to achieve a matching wheel set. They could be used to complete a wheelset.
Would I be better off using the triple step or the drop center rims? Any opinions on which design makes the best wheel.
596bf79cf257d2d40233608df5156acc.jpg

c912621f3e032a3031056ff417821136.jpg

"I have a few pre-37 bikes, so i really have no choice but to run them. "

Are you saying all pre 37 bikes that did not use clad, used triple steps? I don't remember that on Schwinn's, but memory may not serve.

"I have a few pre-37 bikes, so i really have no choice but to run them. "

Are you saying all pre 37 bikes that did not use clad, used triple steps? I don't remember that on Schwinn's, but memory may not serve.

I have triples on a lot of my bikes.

I appreciate the input. The opinions offered match what I’d been thinking.
The bike in question is thought to be a 1921. It would have had 28” wheels I suppose. Somewhere along the line it got converted to 26” with the mismatch set. The back wheel tire seems to be seated well.
So maybe for appearance the triple is OK, but the drop center would make for more reliable riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Break point is '37ish.
Schwinns had their own rim profile in mid 1930's
Westfield/Elgins, Colsons, CWC, Snyders, Shelbys had triple steps into '36, Silver Kings found with these into '38
I don't think Huffmans used in '35 or ''36?
Murray didn't make bike until '37 so no
Iver J processed their own rims IMO
Chris

Last edited:
Back