When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Troxel Aerocycle seat correct for Silver King M1 or Flocycle?

-

Balloonatic

Riding my '39 Silver King 26X
I saw this 30s Wards Air-Flow (same as SK Flo-Cycle) with a Troxel seat usually seen on Schwinn's Aerocycle; does anyone know if any of the 1930s Silver Kings - the M1, Flo Cycle, etc. would have ever come with this seat? What other bikes besides the Aerocycle would this seat be considered correct for, or came from the factory or dealer with?

I see most Silver Kings from that era with either the deluxe, airflow tool box Troxel, or the long spring Persons in most ads and catalog pages... it looks GREAT on this Flo Cycle, but I'm just curious how "correct" it is for the bike. Certainly from an era perspective it's correct, but I'd like to know your experience seeing this seat on other bikes from the factory or dealer?

I took this image from Ebay, if this is your bike I mean no disrespect, it's a very nice bike and I like the seat on it, but I'm just trying to learn here, I recently added some Silver Kings to my collection and wanting to get opinions from the great, knowledgeable folks here on the CABE.

@cyclingday @rustjunkie @STRADALITE @TR6SC @Glenn Rhein @New Mexico Brant @silverking surfer

M1.jpg

Last edited:
@STRADALITE, thanks for posting the ad. For sure the deluxe version Wards Hawthorne Air-Flow is shown here with the streamlined Troxel, but I have a lower dollar example of this bike with the Persons long spring, and it's original to the bike and correct. In one ad I saw you could get some of these bikes 9 different ways, so many different trim levels for the Silver King and Wards Duralium bikes were available.

My Hawthorne Air-Flow has the earlier, pyramid rims, not the Lobdell triple stepped and some other lower dollar features like black wall tires, all standard from the factory. My bike is dead nuts orig. and not restored, it was discovered untouched in a barn by Evan Penny and was in his collection for many years. @cyclingday also has an untouched original Wards Air-Flow that doesn't have the speedo gooseneck (and no holes in the truss rod for the speedo cable) but it's a factory correct bike.

So, my question really is has anyone seen an original example of a Wards Standard Duralium (same as SK M1) or Wards Air-Flow, (same as SK Flo-Cycle) with this Troxel seat on it from factory or dealer? Most ads and catalog pages show the most deluxe versions of these bikes, but we know there are many different trim levels that are still factory correct like my Air-Flow with the Persons long spring, blackwalls, straight pyramid rims, etc. and Marty's Air-Flow with the speedo delete gooseneck and other lower dollar options. Could this long spring Troxel be an alternate to the Persons or deluxe Streamline Troxel tool box seat? Or is it more likely some customer opted for this seat, or a collector put it on there because it's era correct and it was missing it's original seat?

I saw this 30s Wards Air-Flow (same as SK Flo-Cycle) with a Troxel seat usually seen on Schwinn's Aerocycle; does anyone know if any of the 1930s Silver Kings - the M1, Flo Cycle, etc. would have ever come with this seat? What other bikes besides the Aerocycle would this seat be considered correct for, or came from the factory or dealer with?

I see most Silver Kings from that era with either the deluxe, airflow tool box Troxel, or the long spring Persons in most ads and catalog pages... it looks GREAT on this Flo Cycle, but I'm just curious how "correct" it is for the bike. Certainly from an era perspective it's correct, but I'd like to know your experience seeing this seat on other bikes from the factory or dealer?

I took this image from Ebay, if this is your bike I mean no disrespect, it's a very nice bike and I like the seat on it, but I'm just trying to learn here, I recently added some Silver Kings to my collection and wanting to get opinions from the great, knowledgeable folks here on the cabe
199C8D47-3134-4ECA-9144-75F19F8C2074.jpeg

73EDD82B-8BBB-4A5F-8F84-768A4C84EBAE.jpeg

Back