When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Troxel toolbox seats... possible to convert womens too mens??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

37ccmflyte

Finally riding a big boys bike
With the 1930's Troxel mens toolbox seat so hard to find, and when you do find one, you scream like a little girl at the price, I have been thinking.

My question is this... if you had the womans Troxel toolbox seat is it possible to strip it and convert the frame/shell to the length of the mens seat to the right shape and have it recovered??
It would be some simple panel work for someone with the skills.
They do look very similar at the back/toolbox area... is the only difference a shorter/longer nose?
Does anyone have one of each to do a comparison???

Anyone have a really trashed seat or just a frame that could be a candidate for extending?

I expect the hard part to this question is going to be finding someone with both the womans and mans toolbox seats in the same collection to do the comparison!! :)
Regards
Gavin

I can answer this one. I've restored 6 of these. http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...olbox-seats-just-finished&p=208397#post208397

I also have a couple girls versions and several boys versions.
Both seats are exactly the same except for the pan.
The girls is shorter.
The hinge on the front of the undercarriage faces towards the nose for the boys. Or spin it the other way for the girls. The metal toolbox, springs, wear tabs, and clasp are identical for both.
JOSH

Well that is fantastic information! Thanks for posting that Josh. :)
So if the rear pan areas ARE the same shape would it be possible to extend the nose, turn the mount and replicate the shape of the mens?
I have a girls toolbox seat here ready to convert!
I have the tools and the panel beating skills the make it work if I know what I need to do.
Regards
Gavin

Im not sure if you can simply add to the front of the girls pan. You may need to fabricate an entire new pan. If you have the skills to do that and you have a girls donor seat, you have everything needed to make a boys toolbox seat.

Im not sure if you can simply add to the front of the girls pan. You may need to fabricate an entire new pan. If you have the skills to do that and you have a girls donor seat, you have everything needed to make a boys toolbox seat.
With the right patterns to work too and good photos I am sure I could make the metal work of the girls seat the same as the mens seat... but I don't have the skills to recover it. That's might be were you come in!
Regards
Gavin

Pictures of girls and boys bottoms... oh that is not right....
Pictures of the seat base of the girls and mens Troxel tool box seats... yes thats better.
Anyone got better pictures of the shapes??

Attachments

• tr p t seat 4.jpg
    tr p t seat 4.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 90
  • tr 290zsxc.jpg
    tr 290zsxc.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 83
Back