When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Truss Rod Help Please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

char56

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi everyone, I have a 26'' 1956 Schwinn.I have been having a bit of trouble fitting some truss rods to my bicycle.I purchased them off ebay and they were sold a size 26''.Does the top of the truss rod piece go under the head set cup? or under the top locking nut? As mine only seem to go just under the head set cup, are they the wrong size?

This is how far they reach to with them bolted to the axel.
trussrodscabetwo-1.jpg

It just doesn't seem right to me.I thought that they went under the locking nut? What do you guys think?

Last edited:
they should be in order (1) nut. (2)thin washer.(3) the tros rod bracket. i see that it is a 1/2 in short. you might have a 24in truss set. you might re able to bend it to fit. my gut says its a 24 incher.

mark

I have a '55 Hornet. My bracket was located on top of the knurled bearing race. The repop truss rods I got fit just right-I just got them off eBay also.

Thanks for replies guys! Ok well I guess they are 24'', which is a bit annoying.Because I don't need them if they are 24'' I guess I'll sell them on.What price do 24'' schwinn truss rods go for?

Thanks Charlie

what's your angle?

some of the truss collars have different angles at the point where the strut and collar attach. I've had similar problems trying to fit a set of struts from a 64 Schwinn to a 54 Schwinn. my 59 schwinn hornet has a collar with a more severe angle on the collar. i'll try to post pics later 2 nite.....

Balloon vs Midwieght

I have had 26" truss rods that came up short as they were from a "midwieght" and I was putting them on a balloon bike. I have to believe that 24" rods would be about 1" short. I find it important to post "true length" when posting on The bay.

Last edited:
Charlie-

Here is the strut set up for my 59 Ladies Schwinn Hornet. Notice the angle of the drop in the collar.
P1010600-1.jpg

Here is the collar that I pulled off the 64 Heavy Duty..
P1010601-1.jpg

For me, i'm about 1/4" to 1/2" short in getting the rods to fit on the axle. I'm going to try to bend the collar in a padded vice to drop the angle..maybe that will make the difference. If your difference is longer than mine, perhaps the rods u have are for a 24" bike.

Hope this helps some. Good luck

I too have read that the middle weight and heavy weight truss rods were different lengths. I agree with wave, I believe the 24"ers would be a lot shorter. Kenny.

Back