When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to date this Hawthorne Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Monarky

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked up this moto bike project (badged Hawthorne Flyer) a while back but unfortunately the previous owner stripped the paint off the bike and primered it. Due to the primer I can only make out the letter “O” and a smaller number 9 slightly angled. I looking to find out the year made and if it’s and early prewar based on the frame tubing and the fact that it came with steel clad wood rims and the original troxcel seat. I hope someone here can educate me further and help me date the year it was made based on what I have detailed. Thanks Monarky
7CF76EA3-D2AB-4DD0-8645-12D70596CFF7.jpeg
F059A643-69AC-44F7-81CD-7DC76301F0FC.jpeg
C90B53C1-EDA3-4746-9E24-8C46CECEDFA7.jpeg
638E495B-8E88-48A3-946F-A4ACCE770EC7.jpeg

Hello Mike, all is good. I’m glad to see that you are still into the hobby and riding those classics.

Might be late 1920's. The letter "O" might indicate one year, but Snyder may have skipped some letters (like "Q"?).
I am calling my Hawthorne a 1929-P, (for now).

Might be late 1920's. The letter "O" might indicate one year, but Snyder may have skipped some letters (like "Q"?).
I am calling my Hawthorne a 1929-P, (for now).
What tell tale signs on your Hawthorne indicate it’s a 1929-P?

What tell tale signs on your Hawthorne indicate it’s a 1929-P?
It looked like it was stamped with a letter “P” primarily, and it also had the early features of an intermediate 4+1/4” head tube, (half way in between 3.5” and 5”); and a thin straight rod style of seat stay bridge, and odd joints.

I have not seen any “O” or “Q” stamps.
The “P” stamp might have been an “R” but didn’t look like it. Maybe if a”Q” stamp shows up someday, I might then call mine a 1928(?).

Last edited:
It looked like it was stamped with a letter “P” primarily, and it also had the early features of an intermediate 4+1/4” head tube, (half way in between 3.5” and 5”); and a thin straight rod style of seat stay bridge, and odd joints.

I have not seen any “O” or “Q” stamps.
The “P” stamp might have been an “R” but didn’t look like it. Maybe if a”Q” stamp shows up someday, I might then call mine a 1928(?).
A while back I read a post on here that a CABE member had a detailed list of date codes for Hawthorne Flyers/ Trail Blazers and Snyder built frames. I don’t remember who that individual was but I sure would like to see that date code list if in fact it does exist.

Back