When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trying to determine make & if vintage

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Johnieappel

On Training Wheels
Found this bike for sale and cant tell from the crappy photo what it might be. I asked the seller to send more photos, but they haven't done so yet. They want $200.00 for it, they aren't very knowledgeable & claimed it might be a Schwinn Phantom, which I know it is not. I'm hoping to go see it tomorrow, but would like to (hopefully) be prepared. Any ideas?

old bike.jpg

I can't make it out, but it doesn't look Schwinn to me. Chain guard bolted to the bottom bracket? Bottom tube joint at the seat post is pretty cool and the seat is :eek:.

Found this bike for sale and cant tell from the crappy photo what it might be. I asked the seller to send more photos, but they haven't done so yet. They want $200.00 for it, they aren't very knowledgeable & claimed it might be a Schwinn Phantom, which I know it is not. I'm hoping to go see it tomorrow, but would like to (hopefully) be prepared. Any ideas?

View attachment 760937
Possibly a Ross? That seat does look nice. See if they would take $150 or less. Do you plan on keeping or flipping it?
'Shawn

Possibly a Ross? That seat does look nice. See if they would take $150 or less. Do you plan on keeping or flipping it?
'Shawn

I looked at Ross on Google images, and did not see any similarities in the way the seat stays meet up with the seat tube. Neither did the Shelbys that I looked at. Kinda sorta looks like a Columbia or Monark configuration (but not quite), and I'm certainly NO EXPERT on any one of the four manufacturers I've mentioned.

Last edited:
From my desk with swivel chair experience, I'd guess a 50's JC Higgins. :eek: That chain guard mounting a the BB should be a dead giveaway for someone.

I looked at Ross on Google images, and did not any similarities in the way the seat stays meet up with the seat tube. Neither did the Shelbys that I looked at. Kinda sorta looks like a Columbia or Monark configuration (but not quite), and I'm certainly NO EXPERT on any one of the four manufacturers I've mentioned.
I'm by no means an expert either. The only thing I'm certain of is its not Schwinn. We need a better picture or we can just keep having fun shooting in the dark.

Back