When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to figure out a friend's bike

-

sykerocker

Look Ma, No Hands!
An old reenactment friend of mine got in touch with me regarding two middleweight bikes she's had sitting around for ages, wanting me to give them a restoration once I've got the shop back up and running. The one is easy, it's a mid-50's AMF Roadmaster single speed, coaster brake middleweight in red. Very common from my childhood.

The other one has me wondering what it is. It's obviously older, looks older than the post-WWII Rollfast girls bike that I'm redoing for the wife. Here's a couple of pics, if anyone can let me know what she's got it'd be appreciated. I've already warned her she's got a bent fork:

Middleweight bike 1.jpg
Middleweight bike 2.jpg

Chain ring looks Westfield? The chain guard looks Elgin. Maybe a Westfield built Elgin? Hopefully someone can confirm or correct me.
Ride on,
Sean

I'd say early 30's Westfield built but a better pic of the bottom bracket construction would tell.

Will bring this back up sometime this spring. Once I've got the shop rebuilt (shell of the garage was finished today, electrician is next) I'm going up to Maryland and pick the bikes up. Going to do a restoration on both of them this spring/summer.

Thanks for the inputs so far. Elgin keeps coming up on the sites where I post the bike, the bit about the Westfield build is a further bit of information that I hadn't gotten before.

Back