When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to figure out what I've got - any assistance/opinions appreciated.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I cannot say I have actually straightened a bent fork, but I'd done LOTS of metal straightening on autos. And I almost always prefer to use some heat. Any bending of metal will induce localized work hardening. (straighten a paper clip, then try to reform it to the perfect image of a paper clip, to understand what I mean.) both the paper clip and fork are mild steel. It should be heated to red hot then, pushed with rounded dies and a press. A hand operated mandrel (Dake) press will give excellent control. I'd construct a tin heat shield with a hole to keep the flame off the painted surface. Maybe even cover the painted surface with a wet rag. You'll need OXY- fuel probably, like propane or MAPP and oxygen.
Now I wish somebody could help me straighten the bent top (and down) tubes on my 1946 original paint Schwinn Continental!
While I understand the science behind the metal working you mention above I promise you you are way over thinking it. Most of these old forks bend bent alarmingly easily so they're probably was not much heat hardening going on when this incident happened. I've bent back plenty of forks. Here's a little tutorial I did almost a decade ago now.

I have seen some practically irreparable forks that looked like the simple little brut or equivalent would have worked, if tried; but instead the messed up forks showed evidence of being torched.
To me, heating and bending one fork leg/arm at a time, seems like a hard way to go.

The Emblem forks pictured look like the simplest repair methods would be best.

Last edited:
D6A4C087-3077-41D7-8F23-9722AC5869AB.png
FAABE402-2E35-4CC1-AC9B-E425DA549A23.png
looks similar to this bike, maybe it’s a Henderson?

Back