When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to find info. on these two bikes I found

-

Dustin Barkley

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello,

I just found these two bikes at a local estate sale around Washington D.C.. I am trying to find out more information about them. Any and all information would be appreciated. Below are the serial numbers of the bikes.

Excelsior - Y84725

Other Bike - H118888

IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4521.jpg

IMG_4520.jpg

IMG_4519.jpg

IMG_4517.jpg

IMG_4518.jpg

The string on the Schwinn is remains of the old skirt guards. In the 1940's, many were stamped steel. Prior to that, that were made of wires or string, and tied into the rear fender. Women wore dresses back then, and having a skirt guard prevented "accidents" from having her garments caught in the rear wheel.

JC-Higgins-Bicycle-sold-by-Copake-Auctions.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-2_11-54-14.jpeg
    upload_2018-3-2_11-54-14.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 48
The string on the Schwinn is remains of the old skirt guards. In the 1940's, many were stamped steel. Prior to that, that were made of wires or string, and tied into the rear fender. Women wore dresses back then, and having a skirt guard prevented "accidents" from having her garments caught in the rear wheel.

View attachment 762501
I was wondering what those strings were. Thanks for the info.

Back