When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to identify Dad's bike and bring her back

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

DaveZ

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dad got this bike second hand when he was a kid. He thinks he remembers it being a Shelby. he took the head badge off to place a WWII Messenger Decal in its place. During the war he couldn't get 28 inch tires so he put smaller wheels on it. He changed the handlebars, put a light on the fender and a flashlight bracket on the handle bars and a horn. He also added a two speed to it because he used it to deliver meats for a butcher
Dads bike.jpg

Dads bike2.jpg

Dads bike1.jpg

Dads bike3.jpg

. Originally he said it was a brownish red with a white stripe down the fenders. Any hints as to exactly the year and model? I would like to find the correct head badge.

could have been one of many badges shelby used in that era notice it is a camelback no undertank bar and a different probably accessory tank- ND 2 speed is from the war era and a bonus! ps see if the speedometer is still around...

Chain ring looks Shelby; maybe stem too. Tank looks McCauley #3 (2-1/2" height).
Not sure if frame is pre-balloon Shelby, too hard to see.
Side holes for badge, seat post pinch-bolt might indicate Westfield Mass?
28-inch tires indicate it could be late 1920's to early 1930's.
Maybe flip it over and see the serial number?

I flipped it over last night. have to trace out the number as it was stamped not so well. Thing that puzzled me about it being a Shelby is there is no bar on the frame under the tank. He said he put the tank on it too. Kept his tools in it:) The seat is there too. I'll take a snap of that too.

could have been one of many badges shelby used in that era notice it is a camelback no undertank bar and a different probably accessory tank- ND 2 speed is from the war era and a bonus! ps see if the speedometer is still around...

Yes the speedo is there. We found a replacement for it because the glass had broken and the face plate is a bit shabby.

Chain ring looks Shelby; maybe stem too. Tank looks McCauley #3 (2-1/2" height).
Not sure if frame is pre-balloon Shelby, too hard to see.
Side holes for badge, seat post pinch-bolt might indicate Westfield Mass?
28-inch tires indicate it could be late 1920's to early 1930's.
Maybe flip it over and see the serial number?

He said the original tires where solid with no inner tube. You cemented them in place.

Back