When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to identify Dad's bike and bring her back

-
I dont know who made it but the features do Not look Shelby; Seat Stays, Head tube or BB
IMG_7443.JPG

I dont know who made it but the features do Not look Shelby; Seat Stays, Head tube or BB
View attachment 877784
Thanks! Cool bike. What is a BB? I'm new to this:) He said that the handlebar stem was replaced because the original one broke. He went to the local bike shop and they sold him one. He said back then you could go into any bike shop and buy anything!

I can take a photo of that too when I dismantle it. Want to paint it before winter.

“H” serial number could be 1930 Westfield.

Many manufacturers had these type frames with drop bar or double bar. (It is best practice to compare apples to apples).
1935 Shapleigh catalog 10 Wonder.jpg
1929 Shapleigh cat. color 2 Rugby Brown.jpg
Westfield had many in-house badges, and also supplied bikes to stores with their own brand names.
Shelby - Shapleigh, sound sort of similar?

Last edited:
You have a classic bike, also with sentimental value. You may wish to clean it up, make it rideable again, and use most of the original parts.
Original, in this case meaning original to your Dad's bike, which he received second hand, and made some changes to by himself, over the years.
Or maybe it may receive some upgrades?
Things to consider, some Westfield bikes may sport some odd dimensions (in the areas of headsets and bottom brackets; cups and cones).
Looks to be getting 90-years old soon, wonder how many colors of paint it received over the years, and if any original brownish-red paint might be left underneath.

You have a classic bike, also with sentimental value. You may wish to clean it up, make it rideable again, and use most of the original parts.
Original, in this case meaning original to your Dad's bike, which he received second hand, and made some changes to by himself, over the years.
Or maybe it may receive some upgrades?
Things to consider, some Westfield bikes may sport some odd dimensions (in the areas of headsets and bottom brackets; cups and cones).
Looks to be getting 90-years old soon, wonder how many colors of paint it received over the years, and if any original brownish-red paint might be left underneath.
Hi and thanks for all the info.

Yes! My intention is to put all Dad's goodies back on it, but with a repaint and what not. He is 89 and sharp as a tack and swears it was is a Shelby. We had the head badge in a box, but when we moved it didn't come with us. I am trying to locate the person who got them up in NY. There are the remains of the original red down the seat post tube. He is the only one who repainted it around 1939. He took the badge off to put the WWII Messenger decal on it in it's place. Hopefully the original rims are still there and I can get them!
Dads bike1939.jpg

Thanks Dave! That is the goal, the tires are a bit crispy though:) They are a weird 27". I'll see what happens when I try to air them up:)

Back