When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to pin down the DOM on this Raleigh Record

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Chilidawg

Look Ma, No Hands!
I believe it’s pre1970 10 speed, but the serial doesn’t match up with any charts. Serial 005634

-----

the rear mech is a Simplex model 637 which did not launch until 1970

but then i recall the Record model bicycle as coming with Huret gears at this time so this gear mech may be a replacement

what is the marking on the clamp on the downtube - if Huret it would suggest rear mech to be a replacement

my guesstimate just from paint/transfers/lugs/headplate would be 1969-1970

if the Simplex Prestige model 637 gear mech is original there is a good possibility it may date the bicycle as some of them are date marked on the back side as here -

1969 U.S. market catalogue page -

1629069855610.png

1970 U.S. market catalogue page -

1629069907692.png

-----

Last edited:
-----

the rear mech is a Simplex model 637 which did not launch until 1970

but then i recall the Record model bicycle as coming with Huret gears at this time so this gear mech may be a replacement

what is the marking on the clamp on the downtube - if Huret it would suggest rear mech to be a replacement

my guesstimate just from paint/transfers/lugs/headplate would be 1969-1970

if the Simplex Prestige model 637 gear mech is original there is a good possibility it may date the bicycle as some of them are date marked on the back side as here -

View attachment 1463281

1969 U.S. market catalogue page -

View attachment 1463287

1970 U.S. market catalogue page -

View attachment 1463290
-----
Thanks I will look that up

-----

Raleigh -

if readers look at the three cycles shown on the 1969 catalogue page (Super Course, Gran Prix, Record) you will note that all three are kitted with Simplex Prestige gear ensembles

however, the text description below the machines states that in all three cases they come with Huret gear ensembles

note the white delrin shift levers on all three bicycles. these ended about 1967 so either the bicycles are older than 1969 or Raleigh was using up old stock...

such is the confusing world of Raleigh bicycle models, their model years and equipment...

-----

Back