When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TSX frame? PACO

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesper

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I traded an "SLX" frame for a supposed "TSX" frame due to better fit. I have no idea as to how to identify this frame as a Columbus "TSX" frame other than the same method as ID'ing an "SLX" frame and looking for reinforcement ridges at the BB shell conjunctions. The BB conjunctions, as well as the steerer tube clearly display the reinforcement ridges, but there is no way to definitely determine if the frame is "SLX" or "TSX" tubing other than the manufacture indicated tubing on the seat lug and the (I assume original) Columbus decal.
The only info I can provide is that the steerer tube has the 5 reinforcing ridges, as does the bottom bracket conjunctions. The BB shell (Silva?) is Italian, the fork crown, brake bridge, seat lug, and BB shell are panto'd "PACO". The frame seems to be above average quality regarding workmanship. Columbus drop-outs.
I have no idea if the "PACO" name relates to the bike's brand alone or also to its builder.
There is an odd decal relating to fork suspension, but not related to the bike (why is ot on this frame?) and a possible racer's name (Torregrossa?) on a decal remnant.

20230517_235159.jpg

20230517_235626.jpg

20230517_233632~2.jpg

20230517_232308.jpg

20230518_001327.jpg

20230517_232135~2.jpg

20230517_232630~2.jpg

20230518_002246~2.jpg

20230518_001427.jpg

20230518_001551.jpg

20230518_002516~2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I can be of no help but I love the frame!
Thanks for the thought. I have no other "TXS" frame to compare it with, and the "SLX" was larger so difficult to use weight as a metric. I have never ridden one of these frames. I am curious if the full tube length reinforcement actually takes much flex out of the frame. I have recently been riding a Fondriest Dedacciai shaped tube frame which rides great without much BB flex; very interested to know how the "TSX" will perform. I have no idea as to the overall difference between "SLX" and "TSX" tubes regarding butting and wall thickness.

I had this in my misc. Columbus file, but it does not give the wall thicknesses. I don't know what "SuperButted" means when comparing to SLX type tubes since "Superbutted" was also used in its description. Also, not sure where I got this info from, may have been from the Columbus site (I'll see if I can find it again).

TSXDescription_zps984d7461.jpg

I got this info from "equus bicycle":
SEAT TUBE
Thickness mm
DOWN TUBE
Thickness mm
TOP TUBE
Thickness mm
FORK BLADES
Thickness mm
CHAIN STAYS
Thickness mm
SEAT STAYS
Thickness mm
STEERER
Thickness mm
HEAD TUBE
Thickness mm
TSXTube set for professional use, coupling maximum performance with reduced weight. It is particularly suitable for stage races of more than 150 Km over mixed terrain.In addition to butted walls, this set has five helicoidal internal reinforcements, thus giving greater rigidity against tube flexing and torsion.
Cyclex Steel - Weight: 1945 g
0.6/0.9
butted + helical reinforcements
0.8/0.6/0.8
double butted + helical reinforcements
0.8/0.6/0.8
butted with lengthwise reinforcements
0.72.3/1.55
SLX"Superbutted" tube set specially designed for professional cyclists, featuring five spirals for greater rigidity in the joint area or the bottom bracket.
Double-butted tube ends. Cyclex Steel - Weight: 1966 g
0.6/0.9
0.9/0.6/0.9
0.9/0.6/0.9
double butted
butted with lengthwise reinforcements
0.72.3/1.55
Sorry for chart column misalignment!
It would seem that the TSX tubing was a lighter set due to wall thickness (down and top tubes only) even though it had the ridges running the entire tube length. I have not ridden a bike with SLX or TSX tubing so no help to you on that end. Plus, I would presume that it would depend on the builder and lugs/chainstay reinforcement/fork, geometry, etc. as to how they would feel compared to one another. I only have experience with the SL/SP, EL, Record, Cromor, and Aelle tubesets on bikes I've had/have. My only critique would be that SL was a bit too flexible at the bottom bracket under heavy acceleration, climbing causing more neef to trim the front derailleur to avoid chain rub on the cage which was not as bad or negligible with the other tubes other than the Record tubed (Colnago Mexico) frame.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting that @Jake1
I really was not aware of how similar the two sets were. I don't think that I will feel much or any difference between 2 frames of equal size and geometry given that my main concern is in the stiffness of the bottom bracket, and those tube sets are essentially identical in that regards aside from the down tube butting being slightly less on the "TSX". I wonder if the ridges are the same regarding their size between the 2 sets.

Last edited:
Back