When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tube file truing

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

retrobuilder

Finally riding a big boys bike
Working on a Columbia which appeared to be stripped of paint long ago...

Steel is in good condition howver to better true the high visible tubes I am using a flat file to rasp the tubes to better true the shape, remove minor bumps, inperfections and minimize need for much primer filler. Can also use a rat tail file.for concave tubes.

Power tool sanding is often all to much abrasion and flattens round tubing (although I do that at times)

BTW- I first use 80 grit 1" wide sand paper to push/pull wrap the tubing for removing surface oxidation "particles" buildup.

I always use a chemical rust remover or converter to dereust into the metal pores..

Painting is 90% prep and 10% painting...cheers..

filing.jpg

Keep in mind that the tubing has a wall thickness of about 1/16". Filing off too much and you end up with a frame that is structurally compromised. High spots are better off hammered in.

The material I mention is not dents,or bumps.

This is the raised rust oxide layers and the long raised forming ridges under .01".larger than the tube.

I am confident bthe tubing is structurally sound,

A tube "bump" from damage would normally be brazed or mig welded this shaped,

But you do express a worthy comment for peole who over use grinders to prep a frame.
They often gring excessive flat spots into the round tubes,

Cheers..

Back