When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Twin Aluminium 3 speed folders

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-

Bikerider007

Finally riding a big boys bike
Original down to tires. Fenders look blue but it has a plastic coating that can be peeled off so its all silver/chrome. Been sitting long term, sprayed one off but may high polish.
20210226_154143.jpg

20210226_153855.jpg
20210226_154550.jpg

20210226_153904.jpg

Last edited:
-----

Thanks very much for posting these. ;)

Recall them from the 1970's but have never had occasion to work with one so know very little about them.

If convenient, could you also post an image of one collapsed so that readers can appreciate just how small a package they get to when folded.

One popular usage for them was with recreational boat owners so they could have a form of "shore transportation" which did not take up much space on board.

-----

-----

Thanks very much for posting these. ;)

Recall them from the 1970's but have never had occasion to work with one so know very little about them.

If convenient, could you also post an image of one collapsed so that readers can appreciate just how small a package they get to when folded.

One popular usage for them was with recreational boat owners so they could have a form of "shore transportation" which did not take up much space on board.

-----
Hey Juvela, been a while. Hope all is good for ya.

Will figure that out this weekend and get a pic up. The bars feel squirrelly when all the way out but the bikes are pretty lightweight. They are that different, can't take eyes off thing, like Schwinn Krates. The rims are 16/14 Rigida.

Last edited:
WOW! I've never seen or heard of these, but look like well engineered and executed bikes. Thanks for posting!
Thanks!

They are supposedly the first light weight foldup. These are second gen with additional support bar to reduce flex.

They really do fold up quite small and came with a small tool to remove pedals. They had a storage bag that went over handlebar like a paperboy/pannier but I don't have those.

20210227_084436.jpg

20210227_084342.jpg

I’m quite taken with folding bikes, having a 74 Raleigh 20” Folder on my work stand right now. Many design and functional elements had to be worked out, but having a lightweight, compact and seriously useful bike is quite an accomplishment. Bickerton and Raleigh both seemed to solve the challenges!

I’m quite taken with folding bikes, having a 74 Raleigh 20” Folder on my work stand right now. Many design and functional elements had to be worked out, but having a lightweight, compact and seriously useful bike is quite an accomplishment. Bickerton and Raleigh both seemed to solve the challenges!
View attachment 1364606

View attachment 1364607
Those have a great following and the wheel size is perfect.

The first generation versions don't have the tube that links the seat tube to the box-section main frame tube.

My friend Doug occasionally rides his first gen. example out on club rides, and as you say, they are very flexible machines.
Produced originally from 1971 to 1991 by Harry Bickerton, an aerospace engineer.
1976 catalogue (all 2 pages of it!).....

(Images from VC-C library)

Bickertons are back in production, from this year, but sadly no longer made in the UK. Here's a link to their current website.....

The first generation versions don't have the tube that links the seat tube to the box-section main frame tube.

My friend Doug occasionally rides his first gen. example out on club rides, and as you say, they are very flexible machines.
Produced originally from 1971 to 1991 by Harry Bickerton, an aerospace engineer.
1976 catalogue (all 2 pages of it!).....
View attachment 1364986

View attachment 1364987

(Images from VC-C library)

Bickertons are back in production, from this year, but sadly no longer made in the UK. Here's a link to their current website.....

Thanks!

Finally got a look at the pedal removal tool. It's pretty unique. It looks like a open end wrench end but is riveted to the pedal. It's spring loaded and the pedal has a slot cut out. Flip up, slide over into place on the shaft, use pedal as leverage to remove itself! Ingenious! LOL, yea I still get excited about bike things I have not seen before. @juvela
20210228_084044.jpg

-----

thank you! :D

fun innovation.

once took in a handsome Motobecane depliant at me local midden which looked to date from ~MCMLXVII

it was fitted with folding pedals which operated on a kind of turnbuckle arrangement, very nicely done it was

has been so long now am unable to see it clearly in what be left o' me "mind" :anguished:

can recall it was a neutral clay colour however...

---

buoy th' waye -

speaking of interesting fittings...you might consider making a thread on your 'LX's era Nippon piece with all the amazing accessories & features. am sure readers would enjoy seeing it. would likely spark a lively discussion. ;)

-----

Last edited:
Back