When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Twin Bar restore project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Oh by the way accidents happen, no project can go perfectly smooth. I checked out the paint on all the parts and I was happy with my work then when I inspected the frame my heart sank...... on close inspection I had gotten cream over spray on it. So I pulled out the wet sandpaper and started fixing my mistake. I was so careful not to sand through the clearcoat, but at one little spot before I knew it I was down to color....... which means I had to respray clearcoat on the whole bike. I am not good enough to do a patch and repair. Then when the whole bike was sprayed and wet with clearcoat, I tripped over the airhose, kicked the bike stand which swayed back and forth tempting to fall over, so what did I do like a silly fool....... I reached out to catch it. NOW there is a hand print on the top bars down to the primer!! Im going to take a week off of the project to decompress and let the paint cure. I will sand and repaint the frame one more time.......lol

Then8j, that's sounds like a page out of my life's journal. Take your time, there's no rush to complete it for us. We're all in awe of your progress and standing by with bated breath.

I reached out to catch it. NOW there is a hand print on the top bars down to the primer!! Im going to take a week off of the project to decompress and let the paint cure. I will sand and repaint the frame one more time.......lol

Ouch!!!!!! I was cringing in discomfort just reading that. Ok, heart beats coming back to normal... phewww. I concur with the week off tactic. Keep up the good work.

Not sure on Goodyear treads & years but the ones you've got look sweet.

Sorry to read about that, it's agonizing. I know this because that's just about every other day out in my shop :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Take solace in knowing you've got an epic resto going on there.

Would Goodyears have been on an Elgin or would they have been Allstates???

Ok here is the latest picture. The frame has been repainted, re-clearcoated, and then wet sanded and buffed and polished! I know where the flaws are but I'm not telling anyone. It's such a deep dark maroon, it's really growing on me.

The hardest part about restoring anything is getting the time to do it. If I'm going to put in the time to do a restore, I make sure that I take my time and do it right, plus get everything correct, or close to correct. I spent 6 hours on the seat alone, sandblasting,derusting, rechroming, repadding, new leather, buffing out nuts and bolts, and repainting black........ But does it look good or what? I'm proud of it...lol I better be after that work.

So the second picture is of all the parts patiently waiting to be reunited with the frame, when I get some time to do it.

I'm replacing all the nuts bolts and screws with exact copies but in stainless steel, so I can polish them to a shiny glow. (I have a pet peeve of philips head screw heads on an old bike. Does anyone know when Philip heads were used on bikes to start with?)

5983220253_564e4792dc_b-1.jpg

Elgin twin bar sanded and polished by then8j, on Flickr

5983782362_351057c0cf_b-1.jpg

Elgin twin bar parts by then8j, on Flickr

Last edited:
Come on, put it together!!!!

We are waiting for the build, but we don't want to rush you..........

After messing with the paint for a few weeks and letting it fully cure, and after many fun summer activities, I took some time to start putting this project together. I've collected many stainless steel nuts and bolt to replace the old ones, and I hope that everything bolts on perfectly. I am still working on the rear rack, I had to make some changes on it.
I started off with the best part of the bike the front end!

6057645277_15611d9084_b-1.jpg

Untitled by then8j, on Flickr
6058191896_73bfe45996_b-1.jpg

6057646779_3baf21e5f1_b-1.jpg

6057646793_191b1049d5_b-1.jpg

6057660615_d87bd9b0b8_b-1.jpg

Back