twin flex question

This ad disappears when logged in

robert bell

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jun 10, 2017
Pocatello, United States
got pics of other 1938's with curved downtubes. 38 catalog (huffman) shows curved too. what gives??

cyclingday

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Feb 24, 2008
Costa Mesa, California. United States
I think the straight down tube was more of an early vs late kind of thing, because Huffman introduced the curved down tube into their line in 1938.
They also introduced the Twin Flex that same year.
It is odd, that any of the Twin Flex models were produced with a straight down tube, since that was going to be their flag ship model for 1938.
But, for some reason, the first generation of the redesigned Twin Flex models had a straight down tube.

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
got 4 8 on fork, serial on bottom bracket H81500 or 481500
Is the primered bike above yours? Is there another number under the H81500 likely either "1" or "2"? The 4 8 if on the primered bike would indicate April of 1938. I'll write more on my thoughts about this later as I really don't agree with the aforementioned theories on this. V/r Shawn

JAF/CO

I live for the CABE
Nov 24, 2008
Stockton ,CA 95212
Is the primered bike above yours? Is there another number under the H81500 likely either "1" or "2"? The 4 8 if on the primered bike would indicate April of 1938. I'll write more on my thoughts about this later as I really don't agree with the aforementioned theories on this. V/r Shawn
We are all waiting for your thoughts on this the twin flex bike are confusing

James Frazier (209) 481-9464
jfkiller53@aol.com

Freqman1

Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
I have a piece of literature that I can not attribute but is a mini history of Huffman from 1922-41. It talks about the introduction of the Twin Flex (TF) and says that after the recall of the original design aka "death bike" the TF was re-introduced in April of 1938 as a '39 model. It goes on to say "the model had a straight down tube for a month before it was changed to the double curved tube." This supports what Marty @cyclingday said about this being an early vs. late thing. The TF is an interesting model consisting of a lot of variety that is often overlooked. Such models as the tank camel back, economy TF--no tank, and a host of other things. This is probably a subject worthy of more study and a monograph at some point but I got other irons in the fire right now. V/r Shawn

Last edited:

John

I live for the CABE
Nov 14, 2011
San Diego
www.flickr.com
I have a piece of literature that I can not attribute but is a mini history of Huffman from 1922-41. It talks about the introduction of the Twin Flex (TF) and says that after the recall of the original design aka "death bike" the TF was re-introduced in April of 1938 as a '39 model. It goes on to say "the model had a straight down tube for a month before it was changed to the double curved tube." This supports what Marty @cyclingday said about this being an early vs. late thing. The TF is an interesting model consisting of a lot of variety that is often overlooked. Such models as the tank camel back, economy TF--no tank, and a host of other things. This is probably a subject worthy of more study and a monograph at some point but I got other irons in the fire right now. V/r Shawn
Weak... Factory literature or a collectors opinion page literature? Factory catalogs show straight bar frames into 1940. Twin Flex was a option, so most models could be provided from the factory as a Twin Flex.

Freqman1

Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
Weak... Factory literature or a collectors opinion page literature? Factory catalogs show straight bar frames into 1940. Twin Flex was a option, so most models could be provided from the factory as a Twin Flex.
I agree John which is why I would like to collect as much info as possible. We have seen a lot of Huffman stuff that doesn't show up in any catalogs. Huffman's own dealer lit of the day essentially said they would option a bike to customer's desires and TF was an option on most bikes. So if someone has an original TF with a fork number of Jun '38 or later that would certainly dispel what I said earlier. V/r Shawn

robert bell

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jun 10, 2017
Pocatello, United States
got primered frame in process, not here at house quite yet. got that nice green tank that was for sale too

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture