When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

twin flex question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Early Twin Flex ads of straight and curved bar

5b5tmg.jpg

8wl3ye.jpg

I have a piece of literature that I can not attribute but is a mini history of Huffman from 1922-41. It talks about the introduction of the Twin Flex (TF) and says that after the recall of the original design aka "death bike" the TF was re-introduced in April of 1938 as a '39 model. It goes on to say "the model had a straight down tube for a month before it was changed to the double curved tube." This supports what Marty @cyclingday said about this being an early vs. late thing. The TF is an interesting model consisting of a lot of variety that is often overlooked. Such models as the tank camel back, economy TF--no tank, and a host of other things. This is probably a subject worthy of more study and a monograph at some point but I got other irons in the fire right now. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
I have a piece of literature that I can not attribute but is a mini history of Huffman from 1922-41. It talks about the introduction of the Twin Flex (TF) and says that after the recall of the original design aka "death bike" the TF was re-introduced in April of 1938 as a '39 model. It goes on to say "the model had a straight down tube for a month before it was changed to the double curved tube." This supports what Marty @cyclingday said about this being an early vs. late thing. The TF is an interesting model consisting of a lot of variety that is often overlooked. Such models as the tank camel back, economy TF--no tank, and a host of other things. This is probably a subject worthy of more study and a monograph at some point but I got other irons in the fire right now. V/r Shawn

Weak... Factory literature or a collectors opinion page literature? Factory catalogs show straight bar frames into 1940. Twin Flex was a option, so most models could be provided from the factory as a Twin Flex.

Weak... Factory literature or a collectors opinion page literature? Factory catalogs show straight bar frames into 1940. Twin Flex was a option, so most models could be provided from the factory as a Twin Flex.
I agree John which is why I would like to collect as much info as possible. We have seen a lot of Huffman stuff that doesn't show up in any catalogs. Huffman's own dealer lit of the day essentially said they would option a bike to customer's desires and TF was an option on most bikes. So if someone has an original TF with a fork number of Jun '38 or later that would certainly dispel what I said earlier. V/r Shawn

Is the primered bike above yours? Is there another number under the H81500 likely either "1" or "2"? The 4 8 if on the primered bike would indicate April of 1938. I'll write more on my thoughts about this later as I really don't agree with the aforementioned theories on this. V/r Shawn
got primered frame in process, not here at house quite yet. got that nice green tank that was for sale too

Back